DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Quality of Online Retailers for brand name products?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2007, 09:24 AM  
amgdjp

Default Quality of Online Retailers for brand name products?

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and am really hoping to find a good answer to this question! I'm in the midst of a moderate sized home addition which includes a bathroom redo. Our builder expects us to order our bath products (sinks, faucets, tub, etc) from a local bath supply store at full retail. I am finding that I can search for these exact products on ebay or other online realtors for almost half the price. Is there a hidden difference in quality of these items, even if the model numbers are exactly the same? Who can explain the huge price difference between a kohler sink on ebay and the same sink on the kohler website? Any advice would be so, so greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2007, 03:44 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 96 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Default Hmmm>>>>

I have to go with the same theme. Having been a builder for 20years and a home inspector...I see a lot.
When you get the supplies from the local distributor ..you get customer service, the correct parts that fit with the parts you ordered...and someone to yell at.

When you go the other route...you get a lot less responsibility on their end. Your builder may have to wait for the correct parts to get there when the ones you ordered don't work...same model #'s and all.
I have seen it firsthand , and the customer does not like when we pull out of the job for 2 weeks because we are waiting on their problem . There are always jobs which need to be started after yours, this creates a stress factor for both the builder and yourself ...one you don't need.
My opinion is from the other side of the fence.

You get what you pay for.

Good luck with your addition.

Just My
Made in the

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply