DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Re-attaching a sink

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 02:14 PM  
pmarc

Default Re-attaching a sink

My sink attaches underneath, as opposed to having a lip which sits on top of counter. The sink detached, on its own - after 8 yrs. Originally they used brass inserts with a screw/wing nut/metal bracket to support the sink under counter - which is NOT Corian [I couldn't afford it then)], but is a slightly lower grade counter, which I see drills sort of like plastic.

I thought using larger inserts in the same holes would work but the insert's slot [for the screwdriver] breaks. Then I tested 2 inserts over night - put into enlarged, over-sized holes filled with Minwax Hi Perf 2-part wood filler. One insert failed. Original setup used 6 inserts. The sink is about 5 lbs.

Please comment on these ideas or offer better ones:

-Set it up with 4 inserts with filler which will stabilize the sink while I look and see if adding some wooden cleats can be done. I may be able to glue/screw wood -to-wood for the cleats.

-Set it up with 6-8 inserts with the filler and pray.

-Drill right thru the sink's lip and into pre-drilled holes in counter, using appropriate [which?] screws.

-As the sink had a layer of vinyl adhesive on its lip for water protection, I wonder if I could replace it with some kind of structural glue [which?]. This glue + 6 inserts might hold.
pmarc is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 05:40 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 746 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 1303

If a glue would have worked with your counter they would have used it and we already know screws and thing won't work either.
I would in put silicone on the flange and support the sink with a 2x4 front and back, Install a cleat on each side of the cupboard to support the 2x4s.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:35 AM  
pmarc

Default ok

Thanx, that's probably how I'll do it.

Quick Reply