DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Remove Attic Vent?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 09:25 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 784 Times on 699 Posts
Likes Given: 1337

If you start at the top and work your way down you may not need the tool, Take note at how loose the nails are placed, they do not want to be tight when youy replace them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2014, 09:39 PM  
rabel

Man, you guys are great. I'm doing this next week when this snowpocalypse is over and I'll update with photos of reinstalled vent or pictures from the ER. I'll try to staple a few of the hornets before they knock me off the roof.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:14 AM  
mabloodhound
Restoration & Renovations

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default outside removal

I have no idea how you would remove this vent form INSIDE the attic?
It is nailed to the OUTSIDE of the sheathing and must be removed from the outside after the siding is removed.
You're doing it the right way....... from the outside. It's a little time consuming but at least you can get away from the hornets if they become active.

Last edited by mabloodhound; 02-23-2014 at 09:40 AM.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:39 AM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabel View Post
Ok, thanks for your help. I'll climb up in there and blast 'em good while it's still cold. I think Red Wasps (Hornets, actually) are slow in the cold. If it's a giant nest perhaps I'll post a photo of their carcasses and the hole I put in my ceiling when I'm scrambling out of there while being stung, LOL
"At temperatures below 50° F, wasps have difficulty flying." so since their stinger always points down they are pretty much harmless in the cold.

And if you whack them with a pole they will attack the end of the pole. It is beyond them to figure out cause and effect.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:04 PM  
donwat91

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default attic vent replacement

I've read all the post and I'm a little slow. What would be the reason to replace this vent? Is it damaged? A view is worth a lot more than us telling how to do this here. I hope I'm not coming across ugly, because I'm not trying to, I want to help you. This is not a hard job but you can make it one. First I would get a ladder long enough to get you there and not have to over stretch , second get you some long sleeve shirts cap some safety glasses to protect your eyes. But you can spray that from the ground and spray it good and sit back and watch it to see any more are there. . If not still protect yourself. And check the vent out for damaged screen. If there is damage and you need to replace it hers how. Remove the few pieces of siding down to just below the vent you will see the either nails or staples the builder used. Then remove and replace the vent and siding. And you are done. When you go to get your attic vent at either Home Depot or Lowes ask them how this is done so they can show you and they will be happy to. You still are going to have to climb up there first to measure the vent so you will know what size to buy. You could and I've seen a lot of people just buy screen wire and staple it over the vent on the outside so there is little work to do and only you and the bees will know is there. There also maybe a video on YOUTUBE on how to do this. I hope it works out for you. This is the right time to be doing this before it gets so hot in the attic if you do have to get in there.
Donald"Dr.Don"Watkins
Master Sergeant USAF Ret

Donald'Dr.Don'Watkins
Master Sergeant USAF Ret

nealtw Likes This 
Old 02-23-2014, 03:09 PM  
woodchuck

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

So, you can't go into the attic,blast the nest with 20 foot spray and staple up the new screen from inside.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:27 AM  
donwat91

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

RABEL, you don't have to explain but why are you taking this vent out? Have you checked to see if this vent is in two pieces? Just looking at your picture it looks like it in two pieces. I looked at some gable attic vents on YOUTUBE yesterday and they make a two piece vent , the first piece is installed just like all the rest and then the siding is put on . This two piece is the same and then the vent is snapped in . That way if you need to clean it or what ever you want to take it out for. You say you have wasp in the attic , are you sure that they are coming through the gable attic vent ?

Donald'Dr.Don'Watkins
Master Sergeant USAF Ret

Old 02-24-2014, 10:55 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 319 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by donwat91 View Post
RABEL, you don't have to explain but why are you taking this vent out? Have you checked to see if this vent is in two pieces? Just looking at your picture it looks like it in two pieces. I looked at some gable attic vents on YOUTUBE yesterday and they make a two piece vent , the first piece is installed just like all the rest and then the siding is put on . This two piece is the same and then the vent is snapped in . That way if you need to clean it or what ever you want to take it out for. You say you have wasp in the attic , are you sure that they are coming through the gable attic vent ?

Don
Do you have a link to the two piece vents? Sounds interesting. I have seen the ones where there is a beauty ring that snaps over and covers the siding cuts but those I think the louvers are built into the part that’s attached to the sheathing and behind the siding.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:23 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 784 Times on 699 Posts
Likes Given: 1337

I think the ones that the slats would pop out were early, the wind could pop them out and the newer design just have the ring on the outside.

Quick Reply