DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > remove toilet lid and painting inwall bathroom cabinet

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 08:22 PM  
gghrt000
Projects

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default remove toilet lid and painting inwall bathroom cabinet

I am going through a last piece of nits and picks of my renovation and stuck on couple of items:
I tried to remove the in-wall cabinet in bathroom but looks like a it is not going to get off easy so I just decided the paint. It has a plastic interior so wondering what paint would be the best.

Also tried to remove the toilet seat cover but could not figure out how this old ugly piece of cover would come off. Tried to force my way, twisting and pulling still not working. THere is no visible screws or nuts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2014, 12:01 AM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 385 Times on 301 Posts
Likes Given: 158

That toilet seat has to go. Visible rust. Dated look.

You need to feel under the bowl for the nuts holding it down. If they are not plastic, there is a good chance they are rusted and frozen. Your only alternative is to saw the bolts off ... yes, saw.

You will need a sawzall and a long metal cutting blade. Lay the blade flat on the bowl and saw sideways through the hold-down bolts. Be careful not to lift the blade because it can score the procelain.

Yes, I have done this many times.

Medicine cabinet? Looks like there are screws on the sides. Unscrew those babies and get a better cabinet. The senior center is calling and want that plastic thing back!

cabinet.jpg  
Old 03-09-2014, 07:00 AM  
DFBonnett

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

OP,
The nuts that hold the seat on are accessed from underneath, directly below the hinges. You may need a socket wrench with deep well sockets to get at them.
If you have removed the screws on the inside that retain the medicine cabinet, it is just stuck. Pull harder or crack the plastic and take it out in pieces. Just be careful of the mirror glass.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:40 AM  
gghrt000
Projects

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

thanks all, yes indeed i looked underneath and found the screws. It was pretty stuck not completely frozen so I was able to remove it with wrenches as socket ones was not deep enough. Anyways I installed the new one and it is looking great now. As fro the cabinet I guess I will be looking for just repaint.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:53 AM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 03-10-2014, 05:30 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 815 Times on 728 Posts
Likes Given: 1407

The paint is likely holding the cupboard in place, run around it with a knife and it may come loose.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:22 AM  
DFBonnett

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

OP,
It's kind of a low end cabinet. By the time you buy the primer and paint you'll have spent about as much as for a new cabinet and still have a low end cabinet with paint that is going to chip off. Your call.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:31 PM  
gghrt000
Projects

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFBonnett View Post
OP,
It's kind of a low end cabinet. By the time you buy the primer and paint you'll have spent about as much as for a new cabinet and still have a low end cabinet with paint that is going to chip off. Your call.
yes this is pretty low quality stuff. Actually this is one of the few remaining items from initial condition prior to I started remodeling. There was a chandelier in the living room which has a shape of wing propelled aircraft! That was the first one I tore off when I started remodeling. But now I am so tired of all the work, I just dont wanna be involved in tearing and all types of physical stuff, so at least I will paint this stuff to give a better look. May be next year I will do some minor remodeling and will take care of few unwanted items left like this one

Old 03-31-2014, 12:29 PM  
gghrt000
Projects

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

lastly, i managed to pull out the medicine cabinet. (I hope it is a big misnomer as I have no intention to store any medicine anywhere in the bathroom ).
Made a cut around the edges and pull out and it came out nicely. Peeled the some paints around the edge so I might have to repaint.
Put a new one and looking good now.

Quick Reply