DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Removing a built in lazy Suzan from bottom corner cabinet

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 04:43 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 848 Times on 757 Posts
Likes Given: 1465

If you get your head in there you will see the shelves are adjustable, you need to raise the lower shelf so you can get to the screws in the bracket at the floor and then lower both shelves so you can get to the upper screws. With the shelves loose and thenb end backets loose you should be able to get it to a place where you can remove the pipe.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2014, 05:15 PM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

The Lazy Susan center pipe could certainly bolster the stiffness of the countertop but I can't imagine anyone doing this.

Put a stack of dishes on the countertop above the pipe. If it resists being removed then the pipe is providing structural support. If so you can find other ways to stiffen the countertop.

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 07-08-2014 at 05:18 PM.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:46 PM  
beachguy005

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts

The granite weighs about 13 pounds per sq. ft. The load is on the sides and back of the cabinet. If you were to lift the countertop off the cabinet you would see that the post of the lazy susan, while connected to the top of the cabinet, doesn't even make contact with the underside of the countertop.
In other words, if you were to drill a hole in the top of the cabinet you could stick your finger in it a feel about 1/2" space between the base cabinet top and the underside of the counter top. It's how most cabinets are made. Units with drawers are open on top but corner units like that aren't.
Just given the design of corner units, there is more than likely, no countertop weight on that post.

Look at page e28 here and I think you'll see what I mean.

http://km-assets-b.kraftmaid.com/content/pdf/specs/dealerspecbook-basecabinets.pdf

Old 07-08-2014, 09:16 PM  
smittenbritt

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks guys i shall try removing it tomorrow and see how it goes

Old 07-08-2014, 10:47 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 848 Times on 757 Posts
Likes Given: 1465

For pots I have removed all that stuff and beefed it up and used 3/4" plywood the shape of a shelf set near the top and screwed hooks on the bottom of it to hang the pots

Old 07-09-2014, 06:28 AM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper

Liked 353 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 115

The older I get the more I hate lower base cabinets that have the door and shelves inside. If I were to design a new kitchen I would have only pull out drawer base units. When I look at new construction and with knowing the cost comparison between the drawer based and the shelf bases I know it was all about cost they normally have just a couple pull out units and the rest doors.

If I had your corner base cabinet I think I would measure the width and depth I could get by adding drawers going back in at 45 degrees and then build a unit that would slip right in and forget about the loss of those corner spaces.

My sister had me on my hands and knees digging around in her corner unit a couple weeks ago and I was finding stuff stuck in the back that looked like it had been in there for 30 years. I would rather have less space and be able to access it easily.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:54 AM  
smittenbritt

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

There was nothing easy access about this lazy susan. Its plastic shelves pent with the slightest weight and wouldnt turn... The bottom it turned out wasnt screwed to floor like it should...very shoddy product... But to be fair it did have one good point...the fact it wasnt screwed in at bottom like it should and the fact the pole dismantled made it easy to remove.
That was the easy part....just spend several hiurs doing clean from the mess it was hidding....i can only hope i have been wiping up spilt wood stain thats all i can say.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:55 AM  
smittenbritt

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

We need every bit of storage we can get in our kitchen....not enough space for our stuff.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:43 AM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 393 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 161

OMG ... get 'er done!

Step One: Remove all pots and pans
Step Two: Get sawzall and cut post
Step Three: Remove debris

File Type: jpg SAW.jpg (28.9 KB, 15 views)

Old 07-17-2014, 01:35 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeVilla View Post
OMG ... get 'er done!

Step One: Remove all pots and pans
Step Two: Get sawzall and cut post