DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Renovation: Paying for Civil Engineer Inspections

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 09:29 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts

And for the benefit of this thread, I'll ask you (again) if you'd be willing to share with us exactly what type of plans you requested the engineer draw up. And yes, please share also the reasons given by the building department for their personnel not being able to perform the inspections.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2011, 04:40 AM  
johnnymnemonic

Building dept was closed yesterday (go figure).

oldog/newtrick: I, the owner, contacted the engineer.

I will pay the engineer, but I don't like the surprise cost. As suggested by you guys, I still want to know who neglected to communicate properly here (I'm sure the engineer knew inspections are required in my village; it's not the first time he's done plans there or even in my condo complex, but maybe the building department is also at fault). I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for your involvement, you're a precious resource as we try to keep our finger on the pulse of this renovation.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:40 PM  
johnnymnemonic

The latest here...

I left the engineer a voice mail, got back a voice mail explaining that he does this because the building department requires him to do so. He also explained again that he needs to be paid for his time, normally $200/hour.

Anyway, also talked to the building department, and the assistant there said that yes the engineer would do the inspections when the BD inspector was not available. WHEN is a key word here, but she didn't go into details and I've been told before not to get on the bad side of the building department. When asked whether I need to pay the engineer when they have him inspect, she said that this was between me and the engineer.

Talk about lazy state workers...

Since I posted this thread, the engineer has done a second inspection, and my contractor claims he told my wife, but she doesn't remember. Whom do I believe here now?

I really feel like I should fire them on the spot. Am I being unreasonable to do so?

Old 11-27-2011, 10:54 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymnemonic View Post
The latest here...

I left the engineer a voice mail, . . . . . He also explained again that he needs to be paid for his time, normally $200/hour.
Yikes, a civil engineer at $200 an hour? Are you sure he's not a lawyer?

As an independent civil, I've never charged more than $50 an hour (unless it's litigation consulting, in which case it goes up considerably). And even then, a few clients have grumbled about my rates.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:42 AM  
johnnymnemonic

Life in southern NY state.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:25 PM  
johnnymnemonic

oldog/newtrick: we (homeowners) made initial contact with the engineer.

The engineer made a few visits and we invited him to help with a final inspection, without trying to push the building department. He was more than accommodating with his fees and we paid him in full. Final forms pending.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:06 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 814 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1407

Johnny; I'm with you, I hate surprizes. Surprizes just leave a bad taste in your mouth but the hole system is set up that way. The contractor has to price in some surprizes he's going to run into but often just skims over things the homeowner will have to pay for because he wants as much of your budget he can get.
We often push for the engineer because the look at more things than the city does and we know the job is right when it's done. All engineers are not equal, some will quote a lower total cost for the whole job which includes three inspections, then they have extra charges for a question on the phone or they find silly reasons for having to come back for extra inspection.

Quick Reply