DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Repairing house to sell or rent




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012, 09:11 PM  
Frank0
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 147
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default

I guess the best thing to do would be to find the cheapest person with insurance.

Should I try and use one handyman (if they're capable) to do the flooring, counter tops, sinks ect, or get bids for each type of work?

One guy told me I need a plumber for the sinks, is that correct?

Thanks!



__________________
Frank0 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2012, 10:56 PM  
asbestos
Good with caulk
 
asbestos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 244
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I have insurance and even a License. Here at least if someone without a license and insurance gets hurt, you are on the hook. if you find someone that seems OK I might trust them, but no way would I want some schmo on a ladder, one fall can run into the six figures and keep going. I thin k you have a good plan. IMO It is a far greater economy to hire someone trustworthy for more money. A lot of guys like to do T&M (time,materials) because there is no way of knowing how long some jobs will take. I know I have been burned and ended up working for $15 an hour. No way I am going to let that happen again. I have not lost money on a job I didn't get. I explain this to most people and we generally come to an agreement.
Oh, and if you are going to pull up an old vinyl floor in the kitchen, if it is not fairly new, it may contain asbestos, and lots of it.



__________________

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="3"][B]Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

asbestos is offline  
Frank0 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 06:05 AM  
joecaption
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hartfield VA, VA
Posts: 1,361
Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Any "handyman" that's been in the business for long, will be able to tell you what each job is going to cost with few exceptions.
Exceptions being, somethings like hidden termite damage, redoing a bathroom that's gone way to long before being redone.

90% of what you have mentioned you want done are DIY 101 jobs, every job you can do yourself is money in the bank. If you plan on making money on a rental you had better step it up on doing your own repairs if you ever plan on staying ahead.

Anyone willing to take less then about $18.00 an hour to do the work (and even that price os low) mentioned had better be out in the yard raking leaves. No real tradesman that knows what he's doing is going to be able to except some low paying job.
Get the pay rate in writing. It works to safe guard both of you.
Wear and tare on tools, gas to get there, cost of saw blades, ECT. are all hidden cost for any job.

Anyone you hire off of Craigs list is going to tell you they can do all kinds of things. Make them show you some pictures of what they have really done, ask for referances and make the calls to check them.
Anyone I've hired that had made all kinds of claims about all the things they could do could be figured out within a few hours if it was true or not.
I hired a so called roofer, he had no idea how to flash a chimmney, cut around a vent, installed all the OSB on the roof with the H clips sitting on top of the trusses, not between them to stop the panels from sagging, come to find out he had been one of the guys carrying the shingles up on the roof, that's not a roofer.
Another claimed he had done home remodeling for 10 years, first simple job I gave him laying underlayment in a small bathroom he covered over the heat vent, cut it around a simple to remove vanity and cut the hole for the toilet flange with a key hole saw and it looked like it had been cut with a chain saw and was 2" to big. I had layed a jig saw, compass and a 4-1/4 hole saw in in a drill in the room for him to use.
By noon he had to go.

Guess what I'm saying is do not deal with someone that you can see is doing poor work, it should not be your job to teach him how to do the work. Your only job should be to tell that what needs to be done.

__________________
joecaption is offline  
Frank0 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 06:08 AM  
oldognewtrick
Moderator
HRT_MODERATOR.png
 
oldognewtrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 5,434
Liked 459 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Default

Do not be satisfied with a contractor telling you "Oh yeah, I have insurance" have the insurance company send a certificate to you. It will have your name listed on the certificate, then you know you are covered. Do not let work begin untill you have a copy of his liscense and ins. in hand. Just my

__________________
oldognewtrick is offline  
Frank0 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 08:25 AM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor
 
CallMeVilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,277
Liked 394 Times on 307 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Default

Frank, not sure where you live. I am in CA and there are a lot of out of work skilled tradesmen. (Thanks Washington DC) If you demand more than $20/hour you get underbid and sit on your couch.

As the owner/contractor, you need to supervise your people. That is how Joecaption caught the mistakes his "roofer" made. That is how I caught mistakes by the landscape pipe guy (no proper shut off or backflow valve).

NO, you don't need a licensed plumber to install a sink. Any qualified handyman can do it for a lot less. Same goes for new toilets. Same goes for replacing outlets and switches . . . hire a licensed electrician at $60 an hour for that? Ya kidding?

This is all important advice you are getting from the guys here. It is good wisdom. Just keep your head and be smart. You will do fine.

__________________
CallMeVilla is offline  
Frank0 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 12:20 PM  
Frank0
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 147
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Any "handyman" that's been in the business for long, will be able to tell you what each job is going to cost with few exceptions.
Exceptions being, somethings like hidden termite damage, redoing a bathroom that's gone way to long before being redone.

90% of what you have mentioned you want done are DIY 101 jobs, every job you can do yourself is money in the bank. If you plan on making money on a rental you had better step it up on doing your own repairs if you ever plan on staying ahead.

Anyone willing to take less then about $18.00 an hour to do the work (and even that price os low) mentioned had better be out in the yard raking leaves. No real tradesman that knows what he's doing is going to be able to except some low paying job.
Get the pay rate in writing. It works to safe guard both of you.
Wear and tare on tools, gas to get there, cost of saw blades, ECT. are all hidden cost for any job.

Anyone you hire off of Craigs list is going to tell you they can do all kinds of things. Make them show you some pictures of what they have really done, ask for referances and make the calls to check them.
Anyone I've hired that had made all kinds of claims about all the things they could do could be figured out within a few hours if it was true or not.
I hired a so called roofer, he had no idea how to flash a chimmney, cut around a vent, installed all the OSB on the roof with the H clips sitting on top of the trusses, not between them to stop the panels from sagging, come to find out he had been one of the guys carrying the shingles up on the roof, that's not a roofer.
Another claimed he had done home remodeling for 10 years, first simple job I gave him laying underlayment in a small bathroom he covered over the heat vent, cut it around a simple to remove vanity and cut the hole for the toilet flange with a key hole saw and it looked like it had been cut with a chain saw and was 2" to big. I had layed a jig saw, compass and a 4-1/4 hole saw in in a drill in the room for him to use.
By noon he had to go.

Guess what I'm saying is do not deal with someone that you can see is doing poor work, it should not be your job to teach him how to do the work. Your only job should be to tell that what needs to be done.
Great advice Joe!

On the DIY, I wish I had the time (and patience) to do more myself.
__________________
Frank0 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 12:21 PM  
Frank0
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 147
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog/newtrick View Post
Do not be satisfied with a contractor telling you "Oh yeah, I have insurance" have the insurance company send a certificate to you. It will have your name listed on the certificate, then you know you are covered. Do not let work begin untill you have a copy of his liscense and ins. in hand. Just my
That's what I was thinking too.

Thanks!
__________________
Frank0 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 12:24 PM  
Frank0
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 147
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeVilla View Post
Frank, not sure where you live. I am in CA and there are a lot of out of work skilled tradesmen. (Thanks Washington DC) If you demand more than $20/hour you get underbid and sit on your couch.

As the owner/contractor, you need to supervise your people. That is how Joecaption caught the mistakes his "roofer" made. That is how I caught mistakes by the landscape pipe guy (no proper shut off or backflow valve).

NO, you don't need a licensed plumber to install a sink. Any qualified handyman can do it for a lot less. Same goes for new toilets. Same goes for replacing outlets and switches . . . hire a licensed electrician at $60 an hour for that? Ya kidding?

This is all important advice you are getting from the guys here. It is good wisdom. Just keep your head and be smart. You will do fine.
It was a counter top guy I called and he said "he knew a plumber for the sinks" soon as I heard that I thought $$$.

Thanks for your help, I am learning a lot here!


__________________
Frank0 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
What to do when you rent and your bathroom sucks Nix Decorating and Design 14 06-19-2012 09:47 PM
Repairing floor in old house Dionysia Flooring 6 10-31-2011 10:52 PM
garage area to turn into an apartment to rent esma Introductions 0 01-18-2009 01:03 PM
Sell Your Own Experiences homebuiler General Home Improvement Discussion 8 05-31-2008 09:21 AM