DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Replacing broken glass kitchen counter backstop?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2010, 07:07 PM  
Prune

Default Replacing broken glass kitchen counter backstop?

Hi all,

I'm renting an apartment where the back of the wall, between the counter on the bottom and overhead cupboards on the top, is glass. My crazy girlfriend threw a heavy bowl at the glass and it broke in the middle, then immediately fragmented throughout. The pieces of glass stayed on the wall, presumably due to the glue or whatever the material was used to attach the glass to the actual wall.

I'm in a fix because I have to move at the end of the month, so I have to fix this as the landlord is exactly the type who would sue (the lease is in my name). But how do I even get started in ungluing the broken glass from the wall, getting proper glass cut, with spaces for outlets, and finding suitable glue with matching color? How much is fixing this likely to cost?

Here are photos of the sad situation:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 06:07 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 96 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Default well

The best thing is to call a local glass company and have them come out. They need to measure for the glass and see it's application anyway. Then ask how it can be removed to DIY, or ask how much for the whole job.

Some tasks are not worth the hassle and this is one of them.

Good luck.

Just My
Made in the

Old 07-22-2010, 09:58 AM  
Prune

Someone came by and the claim was $600 materials (back-painted glass) and $550 labor for a total of $1150...
Why the heck would labor be so much? He said for taking out the old broken glass, measurement (!), and installation.
Well, I ended up taking the old glass down in an hour and a half, and sure it sprays glass fragments while you're removing it, but it's not that bad. I can do precise measurements in another half an hour. Installation would be a half hour job as well since the way the last one was installed is a few globs of caulking. $550 for that? Heck no... so I told him I just wanted to buy the glass from him. He said no way, he doesn't accept measurements made by customers since they might not be accurate... unbelievable, this guy just wanted to rip me off with labor.
Another glass guy coming by today so hopefully he'll be more reasonable, or I'll conclude that contractors in Vancouver are as much ripoffs as most other places.

Quick Reply