DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Ripping off a wall... worried about dust





Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 04:41 PM  
Dean07
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7
Default Ripping off a wall... worried about dust

Hey All,

I'm new here and I JUST started working on home improvement stuff (bought a house... built in 1931... needs a lot of work) so I'm a total noob.

Anyway, I started ripping off this nasty-looking wood paneling in my house. Underneath is this sort of plaster stuff (honestly not sure what it is but it kind of looks like plaster... our house is a mock tudor if that helps identify it). I noticed that some dust is flying around when I'm ripping this wood paneling off, and I'm paranoid about cancer-causing stuff.

So, is there any chance that there's asbestose or something in this plaster? I've attached some pictures for reference. I know chances of people actually being able to figure this out just by looking at this post are slim but I figured I'd check and see!

Thanks in advance,

-Dean









__________________
Dean07 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 10:38 AM  
Dean07
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7
Default

My wife thinks I'm being a paranoid freak about this and wants me to just keep on rippin' at this stuff, so I think I'm going to just wear a respirator and minimize the amt of time our kids spend in this hall for the time being. Sound like a safe way to proceed?



__________________
Dean07 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 06:08 PM  
BrianKiernan
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 42
Default

Probably just years of dust behind the paneling. There is a better chance of lead paint on the walls than asbestos.

You can get a home test kit for lead from home depot or lowes. It is good to know what you are dealing with. And if it is lead paint on the wall don't panic, just use common sense when workng.

Plastic off rooms and clean all dust very well and wear the respirator.

If no lead I would still work clean.

It is more likely that there is horse hair in your plaster than asbestos (that's right horse hair)

Good Luck

__________________

Good Luck,
Brian
[URL="http://www.install-crown-molding.com"][COLOR="Blue"]http://www.install-crown-molding.com[/COLOR][/URL]

BrianKiernan is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 09:59 PM  
Dean07
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7
Default

Is there a test kit for asbestos as well? Thanks for the info.

__________________
Dean07 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2010, 02:23 PM  
KirkG
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9
Default

No there is no test "kit". IT requires a sample sent to a lab and the test costs about $50. Check your phone book for a local place or google to find a mail order place.

You certainly could have asbestos in many places in a home of that vintage. Get someone to come and look. You and your family's health isn't worth saving a few dollars.

__________________
KirkG is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2010, 09:23 PM  
RnDGuy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5
Default

Do yourself a favor if you plan on doing significant amounts of remodeling (a full day or more of dusty activity like plaster demo or drywall) - get an inexpensive respirator (McMaster Carr Supply, < $30 for a silicone half mask with filters p/n 5541T143).
You will save your sinuses and lungs a lot of grief compared to the cheap paper masks that folks normally get. I got tired of snotting up big grey chunks at the end of every day during a remodel of a 1910 plaster and lathe duplex. These masks are worth it, especially if you plan on demo of plaster or will be doing any drywall.

__________________
RnDGuy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2010, 01:38 PM  
Cork-Guy
Cork Flooring Pros
 
Cork-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 243
Default

I would honestly get a professional asbestos test prior to any more remodeling work; with the year of your house it's quite possible asbestos may be present. Contact your state's health department and they'll recommend you to a competent company to do the testing "properly".

__________________

[B][URL="http://www.corkflooringpros.com"]Cork Flooring[/URL][/B] - [B][URL="http://www.ventless-fireplace.org"]Ventless Fireplace[/URL][/B]

Cork-Guy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2010, 12:32 PM  
Dean07
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork-Guy View Post
I would honestly get a professional asbestos test prior to any more remodeling work; with the year of your house it's quite possible asbestos may be present. Contact your state's health department and they'll recommend you to a competent company to do the testing "properly".
Good advice. I've held off on ripping more of the walls off 'till I know what I'm dealing with.
__________________
Dean07 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2010, 10:45 PM  
profenx
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Covina, CA/US
Posts: 10
Default

Asbestos was used widely for many construction products. Since your house is dated so many years back, i would have the test done on the wood panel, the mastic and your sheet rock or plaster. Test vary in price between $40-60 (or you might be able to find a company that will come in and test your whole house ... ceiling sheet rock floor air for a fixed price) and depending on method such as counts of fiber and crystals per field of view. You can also get an air sample by taking in some of the air with a filter and have them analyze it.

I would use a niosh approved mask that filters to less than 3microns. They sell 3M mask of this kind .. i think N ranked that will be helpful. It is hard to breath with while doin demo but it's worth it. I used it for drywall too and it was fine. Saved my lungs from breathing in all the dust! Also, they sell disposable suits that filter stuff as small as 6microns but allows your body to breath. If you could do all the demo at once so you won't have to keep buying suits and filters. 4 mil plastic will be strong enough to hold all the dust and debris without tearing easily. It helps to mist dust down with water. An environmental abatement guy once told me not to worry too much about lead. It's heavy so you'll be fine. be cautious, use the right protection, keep the place sealed off and make sure you aren't sanding it.

__________________
profenx is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2010, 03:38 AM  
Albert_23
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Amador City, California
Posts: 21
Default

I suggest to spray wood surfaces with dust-repelling cleaner because dust not only makes a house look dirty, but it can also cause problems for allergy sufferers.



__________________
Albert_23 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
ripping up carpet off of stairs smittydo Flooring 4 01-12-2011 08:10 AM
Exposed RO in 2x4 gable wall; convert to equiv. 2x6 wall. WallyPop Windows and Doors 2 09-06-2009 03:31 PM
Can I use opposite side of exterior brick wall as interior wall finish murray382 Bricks, Masonry and Concrete 1 06-24-2009 04:06 PM
Very Worried about Particle Board AND Vinyl surferob Flooring 1 07-27-2008 06:03 PM
Rock Wall is shedding Dust thomasm2001 Walls and Ceilings 2 06-17-2008 01:35 PM