DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Should I Run?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 07:04 AM  
shouldirun

All good advice. The deal fell through. There was some foundation trouble that could be fixed for app. $4,000 and a few other small issues that add up. I wanted the Seller to pay for the foundation repair, but he declined. Since he declined, and the house hasn't been lived in for about a year.....I just decided another train would come by directly Below is a link to the house if anyone wants to look at it. If you live in the DFW area and you're interested, I have the inspection report.

http://www.trulia.com/property/3053800876-2200-Quail-Run-Dr-Corinth-TX-76208

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 11:20 AM  
isola96

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Well it's for the better.
The way I look at is that if your not knowledgable in home repairs a fixer upper is not for any one that doesn't have the money nor the trust to have some one to fix it for you.
Bridgeman had a good point and a good story, sad ending though but wouldn't respect the man if he left that part out.
I think if you search for free advise you will get it like here for example
But when you have some one come that you don't know it's a toss to inspect your house it's like bringing your car in to have it worked on, it's all trust in my opinion.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:51 AM  
nealtw

Liked 541 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 998

It's hard to wrap my head around the prices down there, up here it would be $500,000 or more.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:23 PM  
isola96

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw
It's hard to wrap my head around the prices down there, up here it would be $500,000 or more.
So true, but the thing is the pay isnt as much as down there for most things anyway.

Last edited by isola96; 03-23-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:34 PM  
nealtw

Years ago a freind of mine was part of a group of about 12 people. they called themselves the starters. They all wanted to buy there first house and promised each other some hrs of work to bring houses like this back to something livible. They all had different skills and one worked at a bank and helped with morgage aps. He bought his house and it was really nice when he moved in and then he worked a few weekends for the next couple years on other peoples house. So when he bought his house he only had to pay for material. He put on a new roof and finnished the basement.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:42 PM  
isola96

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Good story, well I went from a apartment to now renting a 100+ year old house that isn't up to code I'm thinking my demise is eventually buying the house.
Now I know how to jack floors up and build bathrooms from scratch but all that know how is useless in this house it's just too old..... It's almost scary.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:25 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 62 Times on 57 Posts

If the identical house were up for sale on my street here in central Oregon, the price would be very close to $300,000. Even with the things needing attention. And if everything on the fix-up list were made right, it would go for closer to $400,000 (although it does need a garage and/or carport).

Seller isn't too bright in not being willing to pay for repairs, as it isn't exactly a sellers' market right now. And the listed repair items aren't going to go away. Should have counter-offered to pay for at least half of everything on the repair list.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:26 AM  
EZHangDoor
Contractor

If that is what you see, just imagine what you don't see...

EZHang
[url]www.EZHangDoor.com[/url]

Old 03-24-2012, 07:46 AM  
shouldirun

You all are awesome!

As my brother-in-law tells me, it's not a good thing to get emotionally attached to a house. Another famous line he tells me is when you buy an old house, it's like putting a wig on an old man. You don't really know what's under there.

Still, if I had the money and know how, I would have gone for it in a heartbeat. Trust, however, is a MAJOR thing, whether getting a house or car fixed.....and mostly in relationships.

Thanks to all of you. Loved the stories, too.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:38 AM  
nealtw

If the house is still there 30 days later go back and give them a real lowball offer. Add a clause to the offer ( if the offer is rejected the buyer may still be interested for 30 days) That puts you in first place when they give up on triing to get there price if it dosn't sell.

Quick Reply