DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Shower Railing Installation

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 07:23 PM  
newtda

Default Shower Railing Installation

When I bought my place one of the bathrooms had two handicap railings in the shower. I want to remove them. I just wondering how they are installed either using glue or screwed into the tile. Below is a picture of the what I am talking about. Please pass along any type of advice.

Thanks
Dan

img_0415.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 07:55 PM  
mudmixer
Contractor

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I just installed 3 of them.

The finish rings at each end should pop off since it is a tight fit and they are usually installed by pressing on them of hitting with the heel of the hand. Carefully work a thin blade under a place on tap it in and possibly give it a slight twist to pop it free. Just slide the rings away to the center section to work on.

After they are off you will see a stainless flange that is welded (nice machine welds) to the ends of the exposed rails.

There are usually 3 holes in the flange. Usually they are used long wood screws into the studs or 3/16" toggle bolts depending an whether the holes hit studs or not. If that is the case, just unscrew the 3" long screws. I installed mine through the shell of a fiberglass shower insert.

If installed properly, they will take a very heavy load.

They are made in China, but a under the name of many different suppliers and are a very good product. I put in 2 and was so pleased, I finally found spot for a third and it is just used as a wash cloth rack and a ledge for shampoo bottles since is works better than the molded shelves.

If they were installed according to directions, but is is always possible for someone to try an adhesive, but that would not hold any near the capacity of the handrail.

Dick

Last edited by mudmixer; 07-20-2010 at 07:57 PM.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:53 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 413 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Dan, you will also find bolt holes in the tile. You can, with care, remove the damaged tile and install a new one. With luck, the installer left behind a few spares. The hard part now would be trying to match the color.

Quick Reply