DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > sink doesnt drain

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 10:26 PM  
erndog

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default sink doesnt drain

Hi I found an old country sink and thought it would be a nice addition to the new kitchen I am creating(pics in profile). Long story shortened. I turned on the faucet for the first time only to find that it doesnt drain properly. ARGGGGGH!!! The center drain hole is a high spot and about a 1/8 th inch of water pools all around the sides of the sink.
The sink is made out of ceratherm(ceramic with glazing). I was considering putting down a layer of polyurethane to at least level the basin. Any suggestions???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2008, 07:01 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 123 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 301

Default Tilt

You could try to re-glaze the sink. There are kits and companies who do this sort of thing. The other stuff you try will not stick, and become stained and dirty looking.
Sounds like the sink got damaged or was a bad cast. Is it totally ceramic or is there some steel or cast iron? Give it a rap and see if it is tinny sounding.
If it is steel try to give it a push down at the drain, if it breaks the coating you can always get it refinished.
Good luck.

Just My
Made in the

Last edited by inspectorD; 02-20-2008 at 07:03 AM.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:28 AM  
erndog

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default re-tilt

The sink is ceramic through out the whole body. There are vent holes under the drain board side and i can see the entire cast is ceramic. I don't see how reglazing would solve the issue. I would need to at least level the bottom of the basin. I would hate to loose the original glazing it has. I was also considering grinding grooves radiating out from the drain to assist water flow. I am curious if there is a epoxy that would adhere to the raw ceramic?

Old 02-20-2008, 10:19 AM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hello Erndog:
The sink appears to be made of some pretty heavy material. I think the radiating grooves is the best idea; giving full drainage without damage to the sink.
Glenn

Quick Reply