DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > small shower?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-31-2008, 05:14 AM  
triptakers

Default small shower?

Hi!
We're putting a bathroom in our basement as we finish it, and have a TINY bathroom to work with.
Has anyone got (or showered in ) a 32 inch shower stall? Is it a reasonable size (ie can real humans actually use it, or does it feel like the shower on a boat?)

Any ideas for showers in a small space are VERY welcome!
Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2008, 06:40 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken

Liked 82 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Default Yup

Shower on a boat ...right on.
Go to your local plumbing supply house...not box store. They will have some set up. I have used the rounded models, more room.

Just My
Made in the

Old 05-31-2008, 08:52 AM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm with InspectorD on this, round is way better. If you can find one set up then you will be able to stand in it and see if it works for you. I have used 32" ones and yes you can get the job done but I find it's not just the width but the depth to. 32" neoangle is to small, I had a 34" and it worked but if you can find a way to increase that 32" even if it's only 2 inches I suggest you do.

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Old 06-01-2008, 06:51 AM  
triptakers

thanks to you both - since we're not framed yet, we're going to try super-hard to eek out the extra couple of inches - can't change the floorplan too much, though, since we've already been permitted.

The search for the perfect shower continues!

Thanks again!

Old 06-01-2008, 07:53 AM  
JulieC

We've got one possibly a bit smaller in our downstairs bath. I call it "the world's smallest shower". The outer width dimension is 31". I'm still getting the hang of "nominal dimensions". It feels very closed in, hard on the elbows. That said, I've showered in there when I was 9 months pregnant. My husband and I have showered in there together ... that was an experience in togetherness :lol. Ours feels dark and confining, a bit more "openness" would be great. The left side has a full-height wall between it and the vanity, I've considered putting a "transom" of glass block above the stall to make it feel more open.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:26 AM  
manhattan42

Sterling makes great 4 piece modular shower units that will work nicely for you:

http://www.sterlingplumbing.com/onlinecatalog/sterling_showers_pg.html

I've used their 32" models and at 6'2" and nearly 300lbs have no trouble using them.

Plumbing codes usually limit the size of showers to no less than 30" measured from inisde wall to inside wall.

In most cases you cannot legally install any factory built shower that is less than a standard 32" wide.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:45 AM  
Daryl in Nanoose

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by triptakers View Post
thanks to you both - since we're not framed yet, we're going to try super-hard to eek out the extra couple of inches - can't change the floorplan too much, though, since we've already been permitted.

The search for the perfect shower continues!

Thanks again!
I dought you would have a problem with the inspector, in a lot of cases we call this "on site Alteration.

[url]http://edhome.shawwebspace.ca/[/url]

Old 06-01-2008, 02:26 PM  
JulieC

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattan42 View Post
Plumbing codes usually limit the size of showers to no less than 30" measured from inisde wall to inside wall.

In most cases you cannot legally install any factory built shower that is less than a standard 32" wide.
That. Our shower is original (I believe) to our 1970's house. I'm not sure it would be allowed today.

Quick Reply