DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Stone front porch

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2006, 06:54 AM  
bethany14
DIY dummy

and... Should the piers be 16x16? Is there a 'standard' base for 8x8 posts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2006, 01:54 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Yes, that would be sufficient. It just depends on the esthetics; what ever looks good. A concrete cap on the piers might be easier to set the posts on and look a little better too. In that case I would use 12" X 12" pier with a 16" X 16" cap on it.
Glenn

Old 10-25-2006, 07:38 AM  
bethany14
DIY dummy

Awesome, this will be great!

Last edited by bethany14; 10-25-2006 at 12:02 PM. Reason: how do I delete this dupe?

Old 10-25-2006, 07:41 AM  
bethany14
DIY dummy

Default "everybody must get stoned"

Awesome, this will be great!
I'm having a hard time finding limestone riprap around here...the place most local to me (a huge aggregate place) said they only carry it in 12" and they won't deliver b/c it wrecks their trucks. They quoted that 12" stuff for $1625/ton, but I'm certain what they carry is specifically for land retention. Should I be looking at landscaping places for this stuff?
Also, I read somewhere that a 6" wall can get 30sqft out of a ton...does that sound right? So, a 6" wall at 3' tall would go about 10 linear feet?

I want to say thanks to you guys for all your help, especially Glenn, wish I knew where to send some cookies

Old 10-25-2006, 11:19 AM  
bethany14
DIY dummy

Default more ideas...

I sure like the look of this hodge-podge stone arrangement...

Old 10-25-2006, 03:46 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hi Bethany:
You're welcome but my computer has too many coookies now, I have to delete them frequently. LOL The whole earth has a limestone shell, it should be available anywhere; maybe you could try the yellow pages and also look for excavation companies. If there are any shallow streams in your area, perhaps you could pick up some creek-bottom stones.
The new picture appears to be a mixture of limestone and brick. It is a work of art, isn't it?
Glenn

Old 10-26-2006, 06:55 AM  
bethany14
DIY dummy

I like the idea of plucking my own rocks...I'll have to see about that. Most undisturbed natural areas (esp streams) around here are protected, and hubby works for USFWS!!!

Those bricks really give it character, I think. From what I understand they're called 'clinker bricks' and though they were originally discards from the brick firing business, those resourceful bungalow builders came along and found an artsy/funtional use for them. I love how bungalows symolize simplicity, conservation, and art...makes ya proud to own one

Old 10-26-2006, 09:53 AM  
bethany14
DIY dummy

Default yet another 'what if'...

What if...
Instead of a lumber floor, I blocked and filled the area? Is this ridiculous? (it's ok to say so, I have a tendency to throw out half-baked ideas) Then I could pour a smooth concrete/earthen floor or flagstone it...and the only lumber would be in the 2nd story deck.
We plan to have the porch wrap around the right side of the house. Most water run-off problems stem from our McMansion neighbors and their top-o-the-hill water eradication methods. They are on our right side (if you're facing the house) so a solid foundation wrapped around would block and re-route their run-off to our gardens. Of course, just a wall would do that too.
Oh, and I found a superb rock company, I think. They're within 30min, and they have an online price list. Only thing is, they specifically state on their site that they offer contractor prices to everyone b/c they have no intention of providing 'customer service'. Which means me-no-picky-brains there I definitely want the stones we get to be as local as possible. Who knew there were so many kinds of freakin rocks!

Old 10-26-2006, 12:02 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hi Bethany:
The concrete floor is the best route for you. No matter what kind of wood you put in there, it will eventually rot out. Concrete is considered a lifetime job. Just try to get good compaction without disturbing the outside walls or the house foundation (keep mechanical tampers 12" away from any masonry wall). The flagstone would blend better with the stone walls.
Glenn

Old 10-26-2006, 12:38 PM  
bethany14
DIY dummy

That's great! Thanks Glenn

I'm guessing this floor needs to be below my house's foundation. The foundation is 8" below the floor level, so I'll plan a nice wide lift around the doorways.
How far below the height of my house's foundation should it be? A couple inches?
Should I lay a row of block along my house's foundation, or is the existing foundation sufficient?
I guess it's time to invest in a book about foundations

Quick Reply