DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > sub a 6x6 for an 8x8? treeless tree house

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2009, 10:34 AM  
Bozeman

Any updates? We're digging the hole today and the pole gets delivered tomorrow morning. I think we have a pretty good handle on the platform but, as mentioned above, the lack of detail on the upper structure has me scratching my head a bit. A couple of basic questions:

1. How does the 2x6 top rail fit with the 2x8 vertical corner boards? 45 degree mitres and then notched out to fit flush with the corner pieces?
2. How are the 2x4 diagonal braces ("C") configured? It seems the sketchy plans have not accounted for the offset between the corner boards and the headers.

Haven't even started figuring out the roof yet. It would be great to hear from those that have been through this already.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2009, 08:14 PM  
Philphine
don't give him tools!!!

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

none from me. i still intend to build them but have gone on to other projects 'til i figure out what to do about the posts i need.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:05 PM  
Bozeman

The more I thought about the eight lag bolts in the same plane and the heavy norwesters (can hit 100 mph) we get here, the more I didn't like the design. The guys at the local building supply store agreed and we have cancelled the project. We may simply change this to four smaller posts rather than the one big one. Should not only be stronger but more stable and easier to build.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:11 AM  
Philphine
don't give him tools!!!

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i think i might have a line on an 8x8 from a local mill. haven't got all the details yet but the main thing that concerns me is it won't be treated.

if i went with it, is there anything i can do myself to make up for it being untreated, or maybe i should pass on it?

Old 12-29-2009, 10:47 PM  
Philphine
don't give him tools!!!

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

heard back from the mill and they say they can't recommend untreated pine for what i want either, but they do think black locust they have will work fine.

about to do a little googling to read up on it. the price seems pretty good. anyone know much about wood types?

Old 02-17-2010, 08:55 AM  
Philphine
don't give him tools!!!

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default some serious lumber

my 8x8's were delivered today. can't do anything with them now, with the season and weather, but i think they're going to work for me. they're huge, and true 8x8's, actually about 8 1/8".

i went with the untreated black locust from the local mill. i read as much as i could find on it and i think i won't end up regreting going with it, but i'm going to keep reading since i have a while before i actually plant them to see what i might be able to do to them myself. like a paint on treatment, method of planting or something, for the best results as far as making sure they last.

so hopefully come spring i can start working at it again.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:42 AM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

There'll be a torque on the upright when the wind blows due to the house acting like a sail.

I'd find this 99th percentile wind value for your area and check if the upright and the footing for it can withstand this torque.
For the upright it's a bending force; for the soil it's probably a shearing force and/or compressive force.

You might consider guy wires.

This project has high potential for a Darwin Award.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:40 AM  
Philphine
don't give him tools!!!

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

actually the thing i'll be wringing my hands over is lining up the two structures.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:19 PM  
Philphine
don't give him tools!!!

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

8x8's planted. one last weekend and one today

i read all i could on the 'net and the suggestions here, mostly 'cause i'm still a little apprehensive about untreated wood. from what i can find people seem pretty confident about this type of wood if you find a good piece. i still tried the putting gravel in the bottom of the hole and set a concrete paver on the gravel. i didn't do the wrap in plastic though. i kept thinking i'd tear the bottom of whatever plastic i tried and then it would just work to keep water around it instead. i did try painting the bottom of the poles with used motor oil, i saw that on one of the black locust sites and it seemed like a good idea.

so far so good. i think i lined them up pretty well. threw levels at it every way i could think of and still kept checking the first one all this last week. the one thing i still need to do is match the heights. i figured that's the one variable i can still correct after they're planted so i sacrificed that to make sure the other things. i used a line level preliminarily and one is about 1 1/2" taller. i'll give it some time to make sure the concrete sets and even them up.

so i'm finaly started. i have a million scatterbrained projects going though so who know when i'll get it done.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:21 AM  
Philphine
don't give him tools!!!

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

my slow progress

the two middle joist. they're sitting on notches in the posts and being held by 4-3 1/2" screws (pretty much to line things up and keep them in place) and two 1/2" bolts.

so far so good. there are a couple more joist sections i need to line up just so (that deal with the two structures being linked), but so far as i line up strings and levels it seems like they'll match up ok. one mistake was when i dug the holes i somehow must have not centered them well enough distance wise. they're about 7" closer together than i want (about 19'5"). not a big deal for the structure it's self, but since it's dual purpose to hold a theater screen i wanted to be 20' wide, i'll need to tweek the screen build when i get to it. shouldn't be too big a problem.

this is more a pic for me. as stated, i want to be able to use the playset to brace a theater screen, so i set a couple of 6' 2x4's on the joist to kind of eyeball the overall width, and sit around the area and get a feel for viewing the planned screen.

bettween weather and cash i'm on hold for a bit. hopefully i'll get a little more done this weekend.

Quick Reply