DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Total Newbie needs direction

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 06:24 PM  
maxmillan

Default Total Newbie needs direction

I am absolutely new to any type of renos and construction. I've never remodelled or repaired anything before. However, I have attempted to fix odd things on my own and my brother is there whenever I need advice.

However, I wll be moving back into my childhood 1919 house. It has been used as rental for many years and I want to do a few things on my own as I cannot afford labour cost. I want to add and change some things for now until the big raising and gutting of the house in the future of which I will hire professionals.

So the changes and additions I want to make will just have to look good for a few short years and will not be a big investment.

Can you suggest any series of books or manuals I should invest in when it comes to installing extra outlets, lighting, painting, etc. I want pictures and very clear concise explanations to go along with diagrams. I have checked out You Tube and other links but but would like books for future references.

Any lead to other sites and resources is greatly appreciated. I feel this is a good time to jump on the reno bandwagon as I'm sure there are lots of people out there with stories of their beginnings.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2010, 06:05 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 123 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 302

Default well

First of all.

Sounds like a fun project, everyone needs to learn.
home improvement has a good book out there.
As far as what the professionals are doing and for really good trade practices,
I would go with JLC Online - Home
Also. my favorite place is the local library. If I find something I like in a book, I photocopy the page.and it is fareeeeee.
Happy reading.

Just My
Made in the

Old 03-13-2010, 07:56 AM  
travelover

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Good recommendations above. Another good resource is to go to Amazon books, read reviews for plumbing , electrical, etc books and then buy the book you want used, online. You can often get books for a little over $5 a piece. Rex Cauldwell is a favorite author for electrical and plumbing , for me.

I like this search engine for used books.

BookFinder.com: Search for New & Used Books, Textbooks, Out-of-Print and Rare Books

Old 03-14-2010, 06:05 PM  
TheClumsyCarpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorD View Post
Also. my favorite place is the local library. If I find something I like in a book, I photocopy the page.and it is fareeeeee.
Happy reading.
I totally agree on this. I don't know if this is a common trend with libraries, but if there is a book I would like and they don't have it, I can request the library purchase the book and usually within a week they have it in.

So nice to ask someone else to buy a book for you

Grady

Descriptions of a young DIYer that wants to learn how to do everything himself. This is the kind of thing you don't see on HGTV.

[URL="http://theclumsycarpenter.wordpress.com/"]http://theclumsycarpenter.wordpress.com/[/URL]

Quick Reply