DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > trimless entryways

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 12:47 PM  
Kelechim

Default trimless entryways

Hi All,
I live in ranch with typical ranch style casing around all doors and open entrances ways from areas like the foyers to the living room. I'd like to remove the casing and modernize house by having no casing. I am not sure how to do this. I've scoured the net and can't find any how to instructions.

Picture today's apartments and how they don't have casings around thresholds. I imagine I would need to cut some long wallboard and screw it in to the wood under the casing. How do I get perfect corners though?

Thanks in advance,
Michele

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 01:20 PM  
911handyman

You will need to purchase some metal corners whether 90 degree or bullnose. You will need to float out the wall to make it nice using an all purpose joint compound or a fast setting compound available in 5,20,40,60,90,120 min. This is the amount of time you have to work withthe product before it gets hard. You will need a 14 inch taping knife and a 14 inch pan. Both available at home centers. It is an art to make look like it was meant to be. Depending on the texture of the walls this may prove to be the most difficult. And may want to consider hiring a pro. Whether you have a skip trowel or spray texture. Drywall pro's are usually not that expensive if all they have to do is texture. Visit the link below http://www.dietrichindustries.com/products/pdf/133_134_135_DMF07.PDF

DIY Drywall Finishing - Setting-Type Joint Compound
Hope this helps, be patient, use the right products and don't be discouraged.
Post a comment on my site at 911handyman.com

Old 01-01-2010, 03:40 PM  
mudmixer

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 33

The casings are a traditional architectural treatment and way to cover the gaps and some installation slop.

I have a 30 year old wood framed 2 story townhouse/quad home and have been going through and attenpting to modernize it. The first thing was to hide the window and door trim and paint it the sames color as the walls.

After that i have been attacking the trim on doors and windows and door on a room-by-room basis. When I took off the trim, I was faced with a lot of trouble making clean seamless and corners that were more energy efficient. - You need some foam(non-expanding), edging (cheap) and lot of mud and patience. I had a classic architecturally significant home built in 1917 and had to rip out the solid brich millwork that was never stained but was painted. - 8 casement windows in an 8' x 10' room.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:57 AM  
Superpack

All my door openings are trimless. The drywall runs out to the rim of the door jamb and is finished with "L" drop which you might not find at HD but can order or get from a drywall supply house. Prolly gonna involve some patching but certainly do-able. Take a piece of trim off around one of your door jambs and you'll get a better idea what you're in for.

Best Regards,

Quick Reply