DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (
-   General Home Improvement Discussion (
-   -   Types of paint for flashing? (

tractng 08-03-2007 10:50 AM

Types of paint for flashing?

Not sure what it is called, but the piece of wood (more like 1x6) going to the end of the rafter's tails (end)?

I am looking to paint that. Do I use exterior semi-gloss?

I am in the socal area if it matters.


Square Eye 08-04-2007 07:41 AM

Sounds like a fascia, if it runs along the bottom edge of the roof where the gutters would attach (if you lived in an area where it actually rained:))

Exterior semi-gloss is fine but if you have problems with peeling paint or blistering, you will need to scrape that off, sand a bit and check to see if it's a redwood, cedar or what type of wood. Redwood and cedar need a bit of special prep and a proper oil base primer to keep bleeding, staining, peeling and blistering to a minimum.
Then after the prep, exterior semi-gloss latex should be fine.

tractng 08-06-2007 11:57 AM

Thanks Square eye.

Thats what I meant. I don't see any peeling at all. Whatever I saw, I used a scraper and scraped the loose pieces out. Am I good to paint or should I sand it ?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:14 PM.