DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Unknown cement?pipe in attic

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 04:06 PM  
Vanmaterb

Default Unknown cement?pipe in attic

Hello all! I'm stumped here. I am working on extending my existing closet space in my master bedroom. There's about 3 feet of space to the left of my closet opening which would allow me to expand;however, looking down this space from the attic reveals a cement? I think, pipe about 4" around. It seems loose because I can move it around. And it doesn't seem to connect to anything. It extends from the ground to the top of the wall in the attic. I have not looked in the craw space to see where it runs but I can not tell if it even goes to anything. Any advice on what this could be? Is it safe to break out and remove?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2013, 06:04 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 95 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Venting for radon?

Old 09-16-2013, 06:13 PM  
nealtw

Liked 687 Times on 615 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Welcome to the site. Don't be to fast a breaking the pipe if is cement type it will likely have asbestos in it. Do the crawl around down below and see what is going on. The space is large for a 4" pipe, space may have been left for chimney that was never installed but your pipe could also be a vent pipe for the plumbing, dusty old cast iron could look like cement I guess.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:29 PM  
Chris
Guru of nothing
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 69 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 25

It is probably asbestos pipe, here it was used for water heater venting and any other heat venting. It may be just a sleeve for metal pipe on the inside which would explain why it may be loose. I would verify both ends before you remove it and if you do, please wet it first or call an asbestos guy. When we remove it from the ground (I am a pipeline contractor) we have to wet it and wrap it in plastic. It is the dust that will kill you.

Quick Reply