DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Weeping tile installation between two houses 3 feet apart

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 07:13 AM  
sportsknutt

Default Weeping tile installation between two houses 3 feet apart

My daughter and husband own a small 90 year old duplex home in Toronto. Their unattached neighbour's home is only 3 feet from theirs and they have a problem with leaking basement walls and were told to install a weeping tile system to solve their problem. My daughter's home does not have any leakage-yet.
The contractor,who gave a quote suggested that my daughter also have a weeping tile system installed at the same time because it would supposedly be cheaper to do both at the same time rather than do the neighbour's now and my daughter's later if and when she develops a water problem.
Does this make sense?
She has been getting all sorts of advice since from friends etc and some have mentioned that because the homes are so close, if the neignbour installs a weeping tile system that should take care of draining the water away from both properties.
My daughter does not have a sump pump but not certain if neighbour does.
I might add that another contractor has recommended that my daughter fix her roof soffits so that the water drains towards the street rather than in between the two properties.
Comments please!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 06:54 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 122 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 286

Default Well

Your doing the right thing, they are just selling product .

If they install a drainage system, they do not need to install one for each home.
The roofs should be draining into gutters that go away from the building, not down into a drainage system that is being installed that close, if they overflow from debrie, they fail.

IF a water problem starts....Get a reputable site person out there, the ones you have now are questionable.

Just My
Made in the

Old 03-16-2011, 09:04 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 813 Times on 726 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

Splitting the cost of one drain pipe would make sence

Quick Reply