DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > What Happened to my kitchen

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2008, 07:59 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 93 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 188

Default And

You need to get at the least 1/4 inch thichness material. Do not buy the 1/8 inch, it will bubble.

Instead of scraping, is the floor there underlayment? This may be easier to take up. And you can address the subfloor and any squeaks at that time. Otherwise, good luck. Your doin great.

Just My
Made in the

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2008, 11:14 AM  
shan2themax

Send a message via AIM to shan2themax Send a message via Yahoo to shan2themax

So, as promised... I went to lowes this morning... strapped stuff to the hood of my car ghetto style and brought it home... I got some floor leveler while i was there.... i think that in order to avoid seam overlaps i am gonna put the whole sheets down the center of the room (from laundry to dining) and put shorter pieces on either side... that way... with cabinets in place there will only be one seam in the main part of the floor.... my thinking is less chance for the linoleum to show anything... in case I suck at this leveler stuff...LOL.... I bought a roll of paper and after i get the floor down I am gonna make a template and take the vinyl sheeting outside and cut it.....
heres the pic of the stuff on the car

carlauan1.jpg  

Old 04-27-2008, 03:03 PM  
shan2themax

so... here we are progress wise.... getting there... only 2 more pieces to be cut.... than comes the leveling stuff for the seams...... I was thinking about putting the paper that I am going to use as a template under the vinyl for some added protection.... didnt know if that was a good idea or not... here is the picture

underlayment.jpg  

Old 04-27-2008, 03:24 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Default No paper underneath

Just do your self levelin, then adhere to the floor.
As for templating with the paper, that is a great idea.
One pointer I can give you is to cut little triangles about 2 inches big as you go. When you cut the little triangles these let you have something to tape the paper to the floor through.
Then it does not move around as you work on it.

Does that make sense ...if not then confuse me so I can tell you better.. better.

Just My
Made in the

Old 04-27-2008, 03:25 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Default Hmmm

Three hammers, one hatchet with a hammer end on it, and one black cat...

Just My
Made in the

Old 04-27-2008, 06:20 PM  
shan2themax

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorD View Post
Three hammers, one hatchet with a hammer end on it, and one black cat...

you never know what I may be up to with the black cats ( I actually have 3 all black ones... lol) another update.... I have cut the linoleum out and laid it for a dry run..... gonna let it set out in the kitchen overnight... and then level tomorrow and remove the paper..... I did make a few little mistakes.... but... all in a days work... at least the labor was free cause i would have been ticked off it werent... hehe... so ... here is the latest.... (I have homework that I need to catch up on so I probably wont update until late tomorrow afternoon... then again.. I hate homework....)
new-floor.jpg  

Old 04-28-2008, 05:27 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Default Very nice job

Thats a great lookin floor. And no big lumps from where the cat has disapeared.
Paint the walls before you put the floor down, it may be easier.
Just an afterthought.
Nevermind ...I went back and looked. Your way ahead of me.

Just My
Made in the

Old 04-28-2008, 01:05 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Nice looking floor!

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 04-28-2008, 01:14 PM  
shan2themax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square Eye View Post
Nice looking floor!
Thanks guys.... I put the leveler where it needed to be... I am very impatiently patiently waiting for it to dry so that I can smooth the edges.... (funny how that was the part i didnt want to do and it was the funnest)... so... I did manage to get some homework done also while I have been waiting... and I put down some double stick tape... ( I got the no glue flooring) I put it at entry ways, along walls without cabinets and in crosses on the floor where the fridge, stove and dishwasher are: along with where the vinyl and carpet will meet at the dining room .... so... here we are waiting..... I will get the floor down tonight and at least the stove where it belongs and the fridge where it belongs..... and start on the cabinets... I had to order another one today (I needed a 12 inch and ordered a 24... it should be here tomorrow) gonna do a dry run of the cabinets that go under the window... if there is room to get the w/d out of the laundry room, i may just go ahead and keep the 24in also... i dont know yet..... i'll keep you posted...

ps... I bought the furniture sliders... I think I will keep them attatched... what do you guys think?

Old 04-28-2008, 06:32 PM  
shan2themax

so.... here I sit.. not much progress... waiting waiting and more waiting on the flooring to flatten out... I have turned my heat on hoping that would speed the process up... but it isnt.... this is no gluedown and I had hoped that I wouldnt have to... but... if I get up in the am and it still isnt flat (i had to roll it up last night).... I may have to glue it down... I am running out of time off and getting ticked off by the second because of my impatients... but I am sure I will wake up in the am with a renewed perspective........ i just feel like today was a huge waste !!!!!!!!

Quick Reply