DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > What Happened to my kitchen

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2008, 07:03 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 96 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Default Wait a minute...

Patience...you see them all day long...
Rome was not built in a day...or two.
Rent the movie "the money pit" you'l get a kick out of the standard contractor answer.
It's gonna be two weeks lady.

You'll be done as soon as your finished and it will be the end.

Just My
Made in the

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2008, 08:18 AM  
shan2themax

Send a message via AIM to shan2themax Send a message via Yahoo to shan2themax

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorD View Post
Patience...you see them all day long...
Rome was not built in a day...or two.
Rent the movie "the money pit" you'l get a kick out of the standard contractor answer.
It's gonna be two weeks lady.

You'll be done as soon as your finished and it will be the end.

I didnt realize we has a comedian in the house..........lol

OK... so... the floor is as flat as it is getting... I am attatching pictures of my lazy susan... and hopefully one of you will know just what it is I am supposed to attatch the thing too... I thought that you started with the corner cabinet, got it level and worked your way out.... the LS is sitting on an x of wood... so I can level it.... but shouldnt there be something on the back for me to attatch the thing to the wall? or do I put the two on either side and screw all three together????????

here ya go.... (now the pic of the LS with the cabinet beside it, that cabinet doesnt go there... I was using it for a spacer)

ls-front.jpg   ls-back.jpg  

Old 04-29-2008, 08:59 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Default Haha

Those where not jokes...just a little levity.
What the %$^& makes me so funny, huh??? (insert Joe Pescie here)

Yup, you are right about attaching the two side cabinets. You will need some shims or blocks between the cabinets to help hold them together.And use some clamps to help hold them at first.

Or you can screw through the face frames which will hold better.
But you need to pre-drill first.
You also need to find the highest part in the floor area to start, otherwise you will be cutting the bottoms of the cabinets to get them level all the way across the kitchen.
Then shim them to where they need to be and install a toe kick at the bottom to meet the floor and cover the shims.
Also install a cleat(board) to the back wall behind the LS to hold the counter top. Do this when you have the cabinets at the correct hieght.

Home because of rain today, you lucked out.
Good luck Shan.

Just My
Made in the

Old 04-29-2008, 09:13 AM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

DEFINITELY add the cleats across the wall behind the LS.
It's a terrible thing when the countertop sags in a corner and the mitered joint comes apart. A 2x4 flush with the top of the cabinets across to the corner on the wall.. no biggie.
Screws in the face frame will work best to hold the cabinets together and flush to each other. Just open the door, pre-drill for a screw and tighten them together.
InspectorD has done this before The leveling is the most important part of any cabinet install. It will affect the way the doors open and how they swing when opened from now on. Also affects the way the countertop fits and it affects the flush lines of the face frames. A straight edge or a yard stick will help you align that LS with the other cabinets. Just hold it's edge against the fronts and adjust it until there are no spaces behind the straight edge.

I wanna see it when you're done!

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 04-29-2008, 09:29 AM  
shan2themax

ok guys... I am a dingbat this morning.... let me ask a question....

Am I getting the tops of the face frames level with one another first and then.... when the tops are together but the bottoms dont meet... what do you do then... or is that where screwing them together comes into play.... (I do not know what I cant get this in my head but.....)(actually I do know.... I am gonna have to sweat copper pipes together because I have a small leak and I hate that... I suck at it.... so it has me off my game)

and yes.. I will do the water pipe first..... lol

sink-base.jpg  

Old 04-29-2008, 02:52 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm going to bet that the floor is low in that corner.

You need to get some shims and start looking for the high point of the floor as it relates to your cabinets.

This is a PDF install guide. It takes a minute to load but it has good illustrations.
http://www.merillat.com/care/framed/installationguide.pdf

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 04-29-2008, 05:19 PM  
shan2themax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square Eye View Post
I'm going to bet that the floor is low in that corner.

You need to get some shims and start looking for the high point of the floor as it relates to your cabinets.

This is a PDF install guide. It takes a minute to load but it has good illustrations.
http://www.merillat.com/care/framed/installationguide.pdf
yes the floor is low in that corner... you can tell just standing there that it is... this is an area that needs more support under the house...
I really like the guide it was helpful... except now I feel like I have another weeks worth of work to do... lol.... I was thinking I could just screw the cabinets together (face frames even all around of course) shim the sides/front as needed.... drill the backs into studs(leveled of course) and be done with it...... I may haave to rig the kitchen sink and dishwasher on a piece of osb until after the 8th... I go back to work on thursday have sunday off and not another day till next thursday.... and I think I have 2 16 hour shifts in that instead of just 12's....... thought about doing the countertops tonight.....(cutting the hole for the sink).... but I really think that I am just too tired today.... but... I gotta have plumbing going for the fam while I am at work all those days (till the 8th)

btw... here is my copper sweating I did.... pretty proud... went much smoother this time..... maybe i'll be a plumber!!!!!!!!! (not)
good-copper-sweating.jpg  

Old 04-29-2008, 05:35 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Default Take your time

Don't worry, it sounds like you have the basics covered. Those directions are great from Sq eye.
Never work when you are tired...it creates more tiring work.

Nice plumbin, we never doubted.

Just My
Made in the

Old 04-30-2008, 05:26 PM  
shan2themax

so.. this morning I was getting up early... gonna go get the 12" cabinet I had been waiting on, pick up the toe kick, buy all the plumbing I needed in order to have running water for the next week until I had a few days off.... It was a pretty morning here... and then all of a sudden.... the sky went dark... flames shot from my eyes.... and I searched for my car keys for the next 5 1/2 hours.... called the school thinking my middle son had them... they wouldnt let me talk to him because he was in testing (state) had to wait...... so I searched and searched and searched... picked up clothes in his room, shook them.. cussed, cried... acted girly...... then at 2:15 I found them... In his pants pocket.... arent I an idiot... at least his school thinks so....
So..... the darkness faded... I went and got the cabinet and plumbing and toekick... along with a 2x4 to measure the floor.... (since I got great instructions on how to properly install cabinets)........so..... I have attatched the faucet and sprayer, installed the sink drain, have the garbage disposal hanging (thanks to the oldest) and now I have to bring the dishwasher in and get it all hooked up.................... so... until next week when the saga returns.......

oh.. I also bought cabinet screws for the cabinets (man those things are expensive!!!!)

Old 04-30-2008, 06:07 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Default Hmmm

I love my kids....and all the tools they misplace or dull for me. It gives me more to do and appriciate the tools I get to keep. Sounds like you are on track.
Let us know next week what you need, we'll be around.

Just My
Made in the

Quick Reply