DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > What Happened to my kitchen

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2008, 05:08 PM  
shan2themax

Send a message via AIM to shan2themax Send a message via Yahoo to shan2themax

OK... so today I installed the cleat and screwed the sink base, lazy susan and 12 inch cabinet together..... that was a little difficult at first but I went to Lowes and bought different screws and then it was smooth sailing... I have one cabinet that refused to be flush together no matter what I did... it is level but not totally flush... there is like 1.5 mm between the cabinets.... I cut the counter top..... that wasnt hard... almost like butter... but it isnt straight so I am gonna have to work on that on thursday.... went to hook up the icemaker ( I changed hoses) and the cutoff that is there is 3/8 and the icemaker is 1/4... so... I'm gonna have to change that.... I bought a countersinker .... that helped out alot with the cabinets... I havent cut the larger countertop yet... gotta get up the courage... I hope that I get this finished on my days off this week... I need plumbing in the kitchen and a break... so... here is a picture of what it looks like at the present time... Please disregard the plumbing all over the floor

The tape you see behind the cat is marking where the wall and countertop touch.. it doesnt touch on either side of that so I thought I would try to sand it down or something.....l

dscf0592.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2008, 05:45 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Hello Shan:
Your countertop needs to be scribed to the wall. Balance the sides up and use something to hold your pencil out to the widest gap. Now mark all along the top edge with that spacer. You can use a plane on the back of the top edge; there is about 3/8" there to work with. It would be a good idea to have the two sides clamped togather before scribing to the wall; just in case the corner is not exactly square, which they seldom are.

Your work is looking nice, keep up the good work!
Glenn

Old 05-04-2008, 05:50 PM  
shan2themax

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennjanie View Post
Hello Shan:
Your countertop needs to be scribed to the wall. Balance the sides up and use something to hold your pencil out to the widest gap. Now mark all along the top edge with that spacer. You can use a plane on the back of the top edge; there is about 3/8" there to work with. It would be a good idea to have the two sides clamped togather before scribing to the wall; just in case the corner is not exactly square, which they seldom are.

Your work is looking nice, keep up the good work!
Glenn
Thanks Glenn... I will add that to the to do list at the end of this week!!!!!

Old 05-08-2008, 07:05 PM  
shan2themax

OKay so I got the second counter cut... sink hole and all. I also got an adapter of some sort to convert the shut off valve for the icemaker from a 3/8 to 1/4 inch... that is functioning grandly....... now.... either tonight or in the morning I am going to attatch the counters together and then I will need to scribe..... my question is...... Do I need to go buy a belt sander or can I use an orbital sander like the one in this link? http://www.blackanddecker.com/ProductGuide/Product-Details.aspx?ProductID=2371 I already own this..... More updates to come!!!!!

Last edited by shan2themax; 05-09-2008 at 08:44 AM.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:45 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 109 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Default Hmmm

Belt sander. Porter cable is good for the money.
Buy a cheap one with alot of belts. Start with an 80 grit for the top scribe. Hold the sander at a slight angle to save the belt fron cutting itself.
Great job.

Just My
Made in the

Old 05-09-2008, 02:39 PM  
shan2themax

so.... I am officially ticked off and done for the time.... glued the countertops together, put the miter bolts on, got everything aligned..... sat the counter top in place to make sure where it was a good fit... had to add some shims to the cleats... got that done.... and while laying the countertop back down..... well.... it isnt pretty.... the miterbolts still kinda work... but the wood holding them in place is broken..... at this point... I dont really care.... I have to put the sink in tonight I have dirty dishes everywhere and I cant cook without it and I cant afford to keep eating out... so... for the time being... the counter is just going to stay the way it is....
a second problem... the counter feels bouncy... will that go away when I attatch it to the cabinets? I sure hope so.....

I look forward to an answer for this one....

Old 06-15-2008, 05:46 PM  
shan2themax

ok guys... I know I said I had had it and was done.... but .... after getting most things done in the kitchen (still need upper cabinets)... I concentrated on my school work and finally got that finished up.... so... I would post some pictures of the kitchen, but... my camera is not cooperating with me.... but just wanted to touch base and let you know I hadnt really given up..... just had to turn things down a few notches so that I could get caught up on schoolwork, and needed some time to relax.....

pictures to come as soon as possible

Old 06-16-2008, 10:55 AM  
shan2themax

Default pictures finally

got a new memory card, so here is the kitchen today!!!!

dscf0753.jpg  

Quick Reply