DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > What is involved with installing stove/bathroom vents?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2007, 10:57 AM  
dble_g2k

Default What is involved with installing stove/bathroom vents?

Good day everyone, this will be my first post so hello to all!

I am the new owner of a triplex. It's actually a century home converted into Two 1 bedroom apartments and a bachelor unit in the attic. I am eager to install range hoods and vents for these units as well as one of the bathrooms is lacking a vent and fan as well. How would I go about locating an electrical supply for these range hoods and the bathroom fan? As well what is involved with punching holes in the cinder blocks to vent to the outside?

I would like this to be my first DIY project and am willing to do any and all work myself. Regarding the electrical supply would it be better to bring in a certified electrician to at least rough out my work?

All input is greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2007, 02:22 PM  
Oilcan

Default about the cinder blocks

Venting and HVAC isn't my thing but if your drilling through cinder blocks its best to use an abrasive hole saw rather than a percussion drill / bit. When you use a percussion bit, you'll most likely bust out an ugly hole.

I don't know how to link yet but here ya go.

http://www.masterwholesale.com/shop/...Hole-Saws.html

Last edited by Oilcan; 10-11-2007 at 09:59 AM. Reason: syntax lol

Old 10-10-2007, 03:55 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome Dble:
Fishing a new wire through is often a difficult job but, I can tell you there are sensors made now that can trace a wire right through the wall. If you could find a junction box near the installation, perhaps you could run a wire from there. The range hoods and fans you are talking about do not pull very much amperage, so they could be tapped into almost any hot wire.
Glenn

Quick Reply