DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum.php)
-   General Home Improvement Discussion (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f45/)
-   -   What are my options? (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f45/what-my-options-10576/)

debraanne 12-28-2010 01:59 PM

What are my options?
 
I am planning to enclose a portion of my concrete-block garage as a studio, and I need to be able to keep the temperature inside the room around 45-50 degrees during the winter (central Illinois). Assuming I insulate it really well, does anyone have any idea of the best way to heat this space (the room is 10 x 17, so 170 sf)? It has to be electric. I am trying to make plans now and need to know what my options are so I can get started. Would baseboard heaters work? A wall unit? I've tried to research it, but just get more confused with all the info...lol
Thanks!

paul52446m 12-28-2010 04:18 PM

They make electric unit heaters that hang from ceiling or wall mount. They have a fan to blow the heat down, and they will heat a lot faster then baseboard electric. Paul

debraanne 12-28-2010 06:15 PM

I need something that I can keep on all the time to maintain a constant temperature; would the ceiling/wall-mount units work best for that?

paul52446m 12-28-2010 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debraanne (Post 52506)
I need something that I can keep on all the time to maintain a constant temperature; would the ceiling/wall-mount units work best for that?

If you are going to be turning the heat up and down a lot then the unit will
heat up faster. But ether the baseboard or unit heater will do the job.
if you want your floor a little warmer then you might want a small ceiling fan to hold the heat down, and keep the floor warmer.
A lot less to go wrong with baseboard. Paul

debraanne 12-28-2010 08:21 PM

Thanks for the help Paul. I'm mostly concerned with keeping the room above freezing during the cold winter months. Mostly 45-50 degrees, with maybe once or twice a week turning the heat up to 65 when I was spending time in it. I know absolutely nothing about baseboard heaters. Are they safe? What are some safety concerns/clearance issues, etc?

paul52446m 12-28-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debraanne (Post 52513)
Thanks for the help Paul. I'm mostly concerned with keeping the room above freezing during the cold winter months. Mostly 45-50 degrees, with maybe once or twice a week turning the heat up to 65 when I was spending time in it. I know absolutely nothing about baseboard heaters. Are they safe? What are some safety concerns/clearance issues, etc?

As far as i know they are safe, they use them in a lot of homes.
I am into gas heating and boilers, so i don't sell or install electric
heat very much. paul

nealtw 12-29-2010 01:46 AM

baseboards are cheep and relieble. run them on 12/3 wire on 240 20amp breaker and you can run about sixteen feet of baseboard run the wire to a large box for a double pole thermistat and stick the wire out of the drywall where you want the baseboard, goodluck

Daryl in Nanoose 12-29-2010 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debraanne (Post 52493)
I am planning to enclose a portion of my concrete-block garage as a studio, and I need to be able to keep the temperature inside the room around 45-50 degrees during the winter (central Illinois). Assuming I insulate it really well, does anyone have any idea of the best way to heat this space (the room is 10 x 17, so 170 sf)? It has to be electric. I am trying to make plans now and need to know what my options are so I can get started. Would baseboard heaters work? A wall unit? I've tried to research it, but just get more confused with all the info...lol
Thanks!

I would go with Forced air electric, they heat the room faster, take less wall space. I have them in a few rooms of my house and I thnk there great.

debraanne 12-29-2010 02:26 PM

Daryl, any particular brand/make/model you would recommend?
I looked at a few on-line, and they said to mount them 8-9 feet high???
My ceilings in that room are only 7 feet, but I think I would prefer a wall unit as opposed to baseboard heating. How much clearance would I need around it?
Thanks for all your help!

Daryl in Nanoose 12-30-2010 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debraanne (Post 52542)
Daryl, any particular brand/make/model you would recommend?
I looked at a few on-line, and they said to mount them 8-9 feet high???
My ceilings in that room are only 7 feet, but I think I would prefer a wall unit as opposed to baseboard heating. How much clearance would I need around it?
Thanks for all your help!

Are you sure that wasn't 8-9 Inches, the ones I have and see everywhere are Dimplex and are intalled at a 8" min off the floor. I will see if I can find the specs and I will get back to you but you don't need a lot of clearence. :) I just checked and its 8 inch clearence top bottom and sides


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:06 AM.