DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Who should buy the materials?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2008, 04:05 PM  
TaskBoy

Default Who should buy the materials?

Is it better for the homeowner or the GC to buy the goods? How much if any is saved by the HO buying them? Any potential problems? The work in this case is Hardiplank siding, stone veneer, concrete porch, redwood arbor over entry, two french doors. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2008, 04:41 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 102 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 61

You might have a harder time finding a GC to work w/you if you supply the goods. Yea, there will be some markup on the goods but, I'd negotiate the total package to offset the markup. Your gonna have to pay somewhere, these guys gotta eat too. At the least, this gives them an out as far as a warranty and/or workmanship would go. Can you hear it now?: "Hey, we just installed what you supplied, if it were me I would have went w/...."

Old 09-09-2008, 06:05 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 109 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Default yea

I agree, if your going to have a contractor do a job, let em supply the materials. That way they are responsible for pickin it up and buying to much of the wrong thing. And it lets the job run smoother. Imagine the contractor packin up for the day because you got the wrong plywood.

Less headaches also is worth the price.

Just My
Made in the

Old 09-10-2008, 10:49 AM  
handyguys

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to handyguys

Contractor - Often the contractor can get a better price which he may mark up to be similar to what a home owner can pay. Not worth the hassle.

The exception may be when something very specific is desired. I would have that specific item in hand when getting an install quote.

An example may be a special door found in a salvage yard or stone you pulled from the edge of grandpa's farm field, etc.

The Handyguys Podcast [url]http://www.handyguyspodcast.com[/url]

Old 09-13-2008, 10:42 PM  
mikemeier

Keep in mind that if the contractor is licensed you can only pay an upfront $1,000 or 10%, whichever is less. http://www.cslb.ca.gov/Consumers/HireAContractor/ContractsAndBindingAgreements.asp

Old 09-14-2008, 01:28 PM  
TRSRepairInc

I would always quote my prices and wording in the contract for my materials (specs), but I would let the customers buy the materials that they wanted and then do a change order to reflect what I needed to charge for P.I.T.A (pain-in-the-a**) costs or anything else.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:56 PM  
Charlie

Generally the contractor buys the materials, which as stated by kok328, removes an easy out for the contractor if the materials don't fit, but also keeps you from buying the wrong stuff.

A friend of mine sometimes lets the customer buy materials, but it is generally only if he knows the person and trusts their judgment.

Quick Reply