DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > why are cabinets so expensive

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008, 09:42 AM  
johnnywygo

Default why are cabinets so expensive

hi all, I went to HD today and looked at some cabinets and they were like 10k for a kitchen w/granite tops, how much should cabinets cost in general for high quality ones, should I figure per/sq foot or what

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2008, 07:20 AM  
rachael24

They should cost about that for high end. You can get some cheaper, but since you want high end, look to be paying upwards of 8-10k

Old 05-21-2008, 08:40 AM  
handyguys

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to handyguys

The high end and Home Depot is low end for some other places. I pretty sure Home Depot only deals in stock carcass sizes. I have heard type of cabinets described as stock, semi-custom and custom. Prices go up the more you deviate from stock (as does quality)

What to look for...
Plywood sides and backs not particle board. Plywood is better quality.
Solid wood drawer sides and plywood drawer bottoms.
Dovetails connecting the drawer sides to their fronts. Dovetails on the back will be only on high high end.

Essentially the more real wood or real wood veneer the better the quality. If anything has a picture of wood over particle board its junk IMO.

The Handyguys Podcast [url]http://www.handyguyspodcast.com[/url]

mudmixer Likes This 
Old 05-21-2008, 08:48 AM  
JulieC

Granite countertops are expensive, about $70/sf and up. You can save some money with granite tiles, the larger the tile (I've seen up to 24"x24"), the more expensive per square foot, but less than slab granite. You could go with look-alike laminate too. High end costs high dollars.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:41 PM  
ChrWright
Builder/Remodeler

Send a message via Skype™ to ChrWright

The better known brands for stock cabinets will be of best quality: Kraftmaid, Aristokraft, etc. They will also offer the most options for species, finishes and accessories.

$10,000 for cabinets and counters sounds about right for the average size kitchen, depending on the wood, finish and stone. I'm assuming that's without installation?

Christopher Wright, CR - WrightWorks, LLC - Named to the 2010 REMODELING Big50
[URL="http://www.WrightWorks.net"]www.WrightWorks.net[/URL] [URL="http://wrightworks.net/Company-Info.htm"]Indianapolis Remodeling Contractor[/URL] [URL="http://www.facebook.com/WrightWorks"]Facebook[/URL] [URL="http://twitter.com/ChrWright"]Twitter[/URL] [URL="http://www.formspring.me/ChrWright"]Formspring.me[/URL]
[B]"When we build, let us think that we build forever."[/B] --John Ruskin

Old 10-21-2009, 05:33 AM  
anie973

Some of the cabinets are expensive due to their construction, finishing and production.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:36 AM  
itsreallyconc

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

having recently had to repl ours, we pric'd the top end @ hd then sought out a cabinetmaker who did the work,,, total custom was slightly less - much less when he included install,,, cost of granite has decreased UNLESS your wife's my bride's sister

Old 11-03-2009, 02:59 AM  
Superpack

Default custom cabinets

I just purchased custom cabinets for my house which was completed Nov 09. I don’t think the cost was really all that out of line from mass produced stuff. I think the difference was $30,000 vs $35,000, which did not include kitchen countertops. So how are they better?

Best Regards,

Old 11-04-2009, 05:15 PM  
house92

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-Brandon View Post
Another reason cabinets are so expensive is because they are generally passed through dealers and middle men, increasing the price each time. Look in your area for independent kitchen cabinet shops because a lot of the time they can offer a better product, for much less.

I agree. I got my cabinets from a guy who builds them out of his home. They were solid oak with plywood backing and solid drawers, and no dowels or biscuits were used. He drilled, fitted, and glued all the joints, which I prefer. They cover 22 feet of space, top and bottom in the kitchen. That was 5 years ago and I payed $6,000. That included cabinets for two baths too.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:15 AM  
jacobvats

Cabinets are one of those things where you get what you pay for. A set of cheap kitchen cabinets will be made with inexpensive wood in exposed areas, if they have any real wood at all, while an expensive set will have high-grade wood that costs far more. Cheap cabinet carcasses might be put together with ikea-like fasteners, while expensive cabinets will have tight fitting joints that keep them solid for centuries. Basically it boils down to this, if you want something that has high-quality materials and workmanship, you will have to pay dearly for it.

Quick Reply