DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > why are cabinets so expensive

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 10:45 AM  
Rez

This all makes no sense. You can by a dresser or chest for your bedroom for a few hundred dollars. It's more expensive to ship and is more complicated to manufacture. Kitchen cabinets and doors are so simple a monkey could make them yet the prices are nuts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 11:29 AM  
Wuzzat?

Liked 95 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez View Post
This all makes no sense. You can by a dresser or chest for your bedroom for a few hundred dollars. It's more expensive to ship and is more complicated to manufacture. Kitchen cabinets and doors are so simple a monkey could make them yet the prices are nuts.
I guess it's supply and demand.

Let me tell you what HD did. I forget whether the prices below were the installed prices.

We were in the store and saw a big notice that you could have new kitchen cabinets for $2K*, so we sat down and had them work up an estimate, which came to $18K**.
Before we even hit the ground from shock she said that we were lucky that there was special on, today, and so we could have our cabinets for only $15K***.

I think
* this price is to pull you in
** this price is to disabuse you of the ridiculous notion that you can have cabinets for $2K
***this is to make you grateful that HD will take $3K off the price that they 'should' be charging.

One countermeasure is to ask what percent of their customers pay how many kilobucks for cabinets. E.g., 2% get cabinets for $2K, 2% get cabinets for $30K, half pay $20K.
Usually this question has the effect of making the salesperson bail out.

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 01-01-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:08 AM  
dennyloren

Nice share wuzzat, you had a real shopping experience. This tactics are been used around most of the shops. Its an part of their selling strategy.

I think the price of the kitchen cabinets depends on what you desire. If you have a big pocket then you can definitely go to the big box stores and order the custom cabinets you like, but if your budget is smaller then you have to put in a little efforts. We have installed ready to install kitchen cabinets in our kitchen, saving a lot on contractors. It was an DIY kitchen remodeling and we ordered the cabinets online avoiding the middleman. There is nothing like you must be an experienced wood worker to install RTA cabinets, they are really easy to install with a complete manual support.

Your kitchen cabinetry doesn't have to cost a small fortune, but it can. By being aware of the options open to you, you can get the best quality available in your budget.

Last edited by dennyloren; 04-03-2013 at 06:35 AM.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:39 AM  
tammi

True. Look for more options before you decide. More options means more opportunities to find the cheapest deal.

Kitchen repair and home maintenance services in the Washington, D.C metro area.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:17 AM  
woodstarcab_1326

Ordering cabinets from a small online outfit is the best way to go, I advise going straight to the source.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:34 AM  
Thomas529

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

IMO the cabinet door/drawer fronts sell cabinets. Many people see the fancy doors and look no further. After all, that's all you see after they are up, right? No thought is given to the thousands of times they will be opened and closed or the weight of dishes that will be put in them.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:50 AM  
Drywallinfo

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

We went with Ready To Assemble and it totaled $2500. They were plywood construction and I used construction adhesive in addition to the fasteners provided. They are very nice cabinets for the money.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:36 AM  
WindowsonWashington

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drywallinfo View Post
We went with Ready To Assemble and it totaled $2500. They were plywood construction and I used construction adhesive in addition to the fasteners provided. They are very nice cabinets for the money.
Buddy of mine did the same thing.

You wouldn't know looking at them and they appear and work very well.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:52 AM  
Jungle

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Women. Women are crazy for kitchen so are men. So they spend crazy money. The more you like to bake i guess..

I build my own kitchen with open style cabinets (no doors but doors could be added later), 2x4's as the frame then finished with glazed porcelain tiles and wood veneer, stone back splash. It's a great look to it, not super high end but i'm happy with it. The copper sink was the most expensive at $600 then rest cost maybe $400, true induction cooker was another $400.

It's much easier building to the custom size you want than trying to find premade cabinets that you like.

Last edited by Jungle; 06-13-2013 at 07:56 AM.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:49 PM  
hwade

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

There are several differences in high end cabinets and low end cabinets.

There is a difference in the hardware, drawer glides on a low end cabinet are usually $5-8, high end may be $30-50 or more. Hinges are a similar story.

Construction of the box is different. Low end cabinets are usually particle board with a vinyl covering similar to contact paper, higher end may be plywood or furniture board with wood veneer.

Some cheap cabinets use plastic laminated doors, more expensive are real wood. The amount of detail in the doors also varies. Cheap cabinets are usually simple patterns that are formed on a shaper, expensive ones may require a good deal of detail on more expensive machinery or even be hand detailed.

Quick Reply