DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Your house is how old?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 03:45 AM  
tishakamrul

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for telling all these things. I think if your house is 15 year old you need to do all these things after regular intervel.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:51 PM  
operagost

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My house is 213 years old. Think I need to do anything yet?

Sorry, but something was lost in the the translation with your Italian friend. There is no way-- none-- with any building material-- any-- that a roof from the 5th century, or the 9th, or the 12th even, could still be intact. Garbage. That would be a miracle material, of some alien technology that has been lost to the ages. In the 5th century, you didn't even have a solid roof on just about anything that wasn't a church or government building! You would be replacing rotting, insect-infested thatching every year. You could have a roof made of solid stone, but it would not be totally water-tight so you'd have to seal it with something that was, in turn, subject to breakdown.

He showed you a bunch of very, very old buildings that have been, by the evidence of their very existence, well maintained-- and that includes patching and eventually replacing their roofs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 05:28 PM  
nealtw

Liked 540 Times on 489 Posts
Likes Given: 998

http://www.atdhomeinspection.com/advice/average-product-life/
This would indicate my thirty years is a little low but that would assume all the maintence and repairs have been made correctly, no hack jobs on the framing, electric, plumbing. It just drives me crazy when people rely on realestate people to tell them, the house has good bones. When they work for the seller they tell them where to paint and cover stuff up but when they work for the buyer they never say I wonder what they are hiding here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 01:10 AM  
hwade

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I love our old house. I like the fact that, when people walk into it, they don't automatically know where the bathroom is. Seriously, if you've been in one McMansion, you've been in them all. My house holds a sense of mystery. People don't know what to expect before walking into it. Owning an old house is kind of like having a really great secret.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:14 PM  
operagost

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes, the bathrooms. In early American houses, you probably have a lean-to, or a bathroom made out of former bedroom space. In Victorian houses, you probably had a trunk room or bedroom (just big enough for a daybed, as opposed to a full-sized "chamber) converted on the second floor. That's how a circa 1900 house I once rented was like. You could wash your hands BEFORE you got up from the toilet.

Quick Reply