DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > General Chit-Chat > Bad weather

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2008, 07:37 PM  
mudmixer
Contractor

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Just got two announcements to be ready in a few weeks from 2 different government agencies.... Suitcase packed and government credit card in my billfold. I spent many months after Katrina, Rita and Wilma in disaster relief/recovery. It is interesting, and rewarding despite the long hours and conditions (like camping out inside at the same time).

It gets a little tough when you can't find a place to eat without a hour wait or a 3 block long traffic line at Mac & Dons. I can put put with a third floor room with no telephone, elevator and once a week room cleaning, but you do have to eat something. In February, over 4 months after Katrina, I resorted to a BBQ on the Holiday Inn sidewalk for my hamburgers and just did the milk and cereal thing if I could get ice for my cooler.

Thank goodness for Cheny rattling the local cages and getting things done in a different way than usual. At least he did not shoot anyone and made things really work.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2008, 10:02 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 123 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 302

Default Whew

Looks like it will be a cold winter, the woolybugger caterpillar was "right on" around here.
We are having 40-50 Mph winds with 20 degrees today and 5-10 degrees tonight. And 5-8 inches by morning. Trees everywhere nowadays , and right after our wicked Ice storm.
It's nice to have all those holes filled and the woodstove cranked up.
I just love winter.

Daryl, do you have some flooding issues up there? Looks like you folks had a white christmas , about time eh?

Just My
Made in the

Old 01-03-2009, 05:33 PM  
SPISurfer

Default The Only Time to Gloat

We have no snow. Face it we have warm, hot, and hotter with humidity, more humidity, and darn right drippy. Inspector what we wouldn't do to have and celebrate different seasons! This is the wife at the beach on Christmas. Notice the crazy northernerns in the background. The wife was freezing with her shorts so she wrapped up in my towel. It was 83. The next day was 90 degrees.

Daryl, man we hope you have no flooding - that is undenialably a nightmare!

t-beach-x-mas.jpg  

Old 01-03-2009, 10:31 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Default Yea

I'm usually one of those crazy northerners hehe.
Man the storm damage we have been having, just keeps us busy I guess. I'm the local wood guy around town so I don't mind helpin folks out. But it is only the first of the year and we are way ahead of previous years for this kind of weather and damage.
Of course you folks know what I'm talkin about.The only thing different is the cold.

Just My
Made in the

Old 01-29-2009, 04:25 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Default Ice

Well, I wonder how Glenn and Square Eye are makin out. They had plenty of ice down there, looks like some work around for all to share in. We had lots of cold last week, now the 12" of ice and snow we have around here is concrete. It is fun for the sledding though, you can go for what seems like miles.Attachment 1076

Just My
Made in the

Old 01-29-2009, 06:43 PM  
mudmixer
Contractor

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 36

The recent snow and ice is certainly bad, but although I lived in CT for a year, it is hard to comprehend the problems it causes with the infrastructure and way of life.

My current wife (Joy2) was born in central PA, grew up in Levittown, PA and then lived in CT for 15 years. She is always after me to get extra firewood, a generator, extra food and the whole works (even chains) because of what she saw through the years.

I grew up in St. Paul, MN and we only had one or two short (30 minute) outages in 25 years prior to 1965. I later built a lake home 150 miles north in the woods and plugged a clock radio in when I started building. When I sold it 15 years later, the clock radio was never reset (except for daylight time). We had underground power and had a large LP tank so there was never a problem whether -42F or 30" of snow. That was with Joy1.

We, Joy2 and I, now live in a townhouse and have 2- Jimmy 4WD SUVs and underground power, cable, but she still worries when the weather forcast comes on. - It all goes to show that much of winter is a STATE OF MIND and what you grow up with and what kind of old fashioned infrastructure you have to inherit. We had more ice outages in Virginia Beach than in Minnesota.

Someday this winter, I will put the liner in my jacket, but is too much of a hassle. I just leave the liner in the back of my SUV along with my boots. The liner prevents you from warming up when you get inside, since you never walk too far in the bitter cold.

Dick

Old 01-30-2009, 06:05 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Default Minnesota

Working outside for a living around here is hit or miss with the weather. I agree, being prepared is a state of mind around here. Lately the power has gone out once every two weeks which creates some fun down time around here. On another note, My cousin just happened to run in the Beargrease sled dog race out of Duluth this past week. She lives in upper NH, but her Dogs could not handle the cold off the Lake (Superior). She was dealing with -20 degrees with -40 wind chills. She had to scratch at about a third of the race. Only 6 teams out of 21 made the finish line. She was disappointed at first, but she did beat all the other NH crew for bragging rights, and learned much about the dogs she has trained and how to work on them for next year.

Just My
Made in the

Old 02-04-2009, 04:05 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Default Well

It has been over a week and Square Eye and Glenn are still without the connections it seems. Hope all is well down there, it was quite a mess for western Kentucky. Hopefully someone has some pics when they get back.

Just My
Made in the

Old 04-04-2009, 10:36 AM  
FixerUpper445

so what's up with this weather lately? I feel like it continues to get worse and worse!!!

Old 04-04-2009, 01:27 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixerUpper445 View Post
so what's up with this weather lately? I feel like it continues to get worse and worse!!!
It's called "global warming". The north and south poles are getting warmer and milder, but all the inhabited places are getting crappy weather, rain and tornados.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 04-04-2009 at 06:09 PM.

Quick Reply