DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > General Chit-Chat > bird lovers out there. . .?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 02:31 PM  
Wuzzat?

Liked 163 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default bird lovers out there. . .?

About 9" long, dark ring around the neck, blue and white and gray, crest on top of head.

What be it?

Never mind. . .Blue Jay. . .I get a duh' award on this one.

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 10-17-2012 at 02:36 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 09:36 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 744 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Short term memory goes first. You know it's bad when you have to ask the wife what her name is.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:20 PM  
Wuzzat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
Short term memory goes first. You know it's bad when you have to ask the wife what her name is.
For a while I couldn't find my car in the parking lot so I had to consciously make a mental note along the lines of "8 o'clock position relative to the building front door at a distance of 100 feet" but now that process is automatic so I can again find my car without having to think about it.

I read that by the time you are 80 or so, you are able to take in just enough oxygen to be able to get out of a chair, so try to maintain your cardiac/pulmonary capacity.
And your muscles atrophy with time so lift the weights, stand rather than sit, watch your BMI, watch your posture, etc., etc..

http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bminojs.htm

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 10-18-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:41 AM  
Austin
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 50 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuzzat? View Post
For a while I couldn't find my car in the parking lot so I had to consciously make a mental note along the lines of "8 o'clock position relative to the building front door at a distance of 100 feet" but now that process is automatic so I can again find my car without having to think about it.

I read that by the time you are 80 or so, you are able to take in just enough oxygen to be able to get out of a chair, so try to maintain your cardiac/pulmonary capacity.
And your muscles atrophy with time so lift the weights, stand rather than sit, watch your BMI, watch your posture, etc., etc..

http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bminojs.htm
I can never remember where I park. I have to ask the five year old who takes me by the hand and shows me.

I just got out of a rental car. Whenever I would be in a store for to long I would have to walk around hitting the unlock button till I heard it beep.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:31 AM  
Wuzzat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I can never remember where I park. I have to ask the five year old who takes me by the hand and shows me.

I just got out of a rental car. Whenever I would be in a store for to long I would have to walk around hitting the unlock button till I heard it beep.
Fight it, man. . .kick and scream if you have to, but fight it.

I heard of a guy who drove to Boston from DC for a conference, then forgot he drove so he took a plane back.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:26 PM  
mudmixer
Contractor

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 36

In the 70's, I parked a non-descriptive car in a shopping center lot in San Diego when I met some friends at a near-by stop light and joined then for visiting some plants and landscapers. The car was left in an empty lot.

When were can back at 5:00 PM on a Saturday afternoon, I could not find the thing, so I was dropped off at my motel and walked back about 11:00 PM when things cleared out and I could find my beige Chevrolet.

Wazzat? -
When it comes to birds, I just stay in my office/den and wait for the occasional seasonal travelers or rarities. A few days ago I had some large robin sized bright red bodied birds with black wings and discovered they were Scarlet Tanagers after looking at my photos and books for verification.

They were feeding up before moving on, but it has taken years of waiting and walking to find just one. It just takes a couple of reference books and a lot of patience when it comes to birds.

Dick

Old 10-20-2012, 10:31 AM  
Wuzzat?

For several reasons I bought a 10x to 30x pocket sized telescope at a camping store, so I should be in good shape for birdwatching, if I can find the time.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:39 PM  
notmrjohn
Obnoxious Knowitalll

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

In "another forum" in chit chat is thread 'hOW TO INCREASE POSTING COUNT."

Wuzzy has come up with brilliant plan, ask and answer your own question. if answer is wrong, argue with responders. Wuzz you been here since 2010, we still don't know where you are in actuality. you sure Blue Jays live in your area? A pair of pocket 7X30 binocs is easier for telling if its a Stellar's Jay or Mountain Jay or Eastern Blue Jay.

Mudmixer, I want scarlet tanager on my life list soooo bad. R T Petersen claims it lives right in my neighborhood. i got rarities from my own backyard others are jealous of, i want that tanager to sit on a twig for hours, just so I can admire him.

Now, most parking lots have letters on light poles. If you start at P while looking for G and you come R, ask someone which is the opposite direction you are walking, usually it is the side of your head that has no sensory receptors mounted on it. Tie a helium balloon with long string to car. If you have a rental in a different city than your own, paste on a bumper sticker supporting their most hated sports rival. Go towards the rioting vandals if you know Kung Fu, otherwise go towards the flashing blue and red lights, water spouts from the big red trucks , and flames.

Most phones have cameras now, take a picture of something as you get out of car, keep walking around untill what you see looks like what is in picture. Write down description of your car and license number; report car stolen, cops know this gambit. First thing they do is search parking lot for your car, then they write you ticket for false report, but you can drive away.

neal, I don't even know your wife, how does she even know what kind of car I drive? But there is nothing wrong with deck joists being on top of the ledger. Wait, what was the question?

[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Measure twice, cut once.[/FONT][/CENTER]
[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Look at the nail, not the hammer. Watch the fence, not the blade.[/FONT][/CENTER]
[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]If you hook your thumb over your belt you won't hit it with the hammer or leave it layin on the saw table.[/FONT][/CENTER]

Old 10-20-2012, 06:23 PM  
Wuzzat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmrjohn View Post
we still don't know where you are in actuality.
40 degrees latitude, about 400' above sea level.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:11 PM  
notmrjohn
Obnoxious Knowitalll

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Then you're within Blue Jay range.
Now, do you now where you parked your car?

[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Measure twice, cut once.[/FONT][/CENTER]
[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Look at the nail, not the hammer. Watch the fence, not the blade.[/FONT][/CENTER]
[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]If you hook your thumb over your belt you won't hit it with the hammer or leave it layin on the saw table.[/FONT][/CENTER]

Quick Reply