DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > General Chit-Chat > bird lovers out there. . .?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 08:02 PM  
mudmixer
Contractor

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Wazzat? -

I guess we can assume you are hiding far away in either Spain or Turkey.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 08:01 AM  
Wuzzat?
Banned

Liked 167 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Si, Senor. I could also be in the southern hemisphere (looking for my car ).

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 10-21-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:26 PM  
Austin
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmrjohn View Post
Then you're within Blue Jay range.
Now, do you now where you parked your car?
I do right now! Well my own that is.

I got my car back and my issues are gone.

I've taken to parking in the same area based on where I am at.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:40 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 796 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 1358

When I was younger, I worked at a full service station in the mall parking lot. Mall empoyees had parking near us. When things where slow we took the floor jack out and moved cars around. Most people never noticed. We evan took some over and washed them and nobody noticed, at least they never stopped to take a second look. For a while we put a little gas in the bank managers Caddy. When we stopped he was some mad about only getting 14 miles to the gallon. The unnnecessay repairs more than paid for the gas.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:39 AM  
Austin
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
When I was younger, I worked at a full service station in the mall parking lot. Mall empoyees had parking near us. When things where slow we took the floor jack out and moved cars around. Most people never noticed. We evan took some over and washed them and nobody noticed, at least they never stopped to take a second look. For a while we put a little gas in the bank managers Caddy. When we stopped he was some mad about only getting 14 miles to the gallon. The unnnecessay repairs more than paid for the gas.
That's pretty funny. How long did you put gas in his car for him?

I wish someone would do that for me!

Last edited by Austin; 10-24-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:27 AM  
notmrjohn
Obnoxious Knowitalll

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

"For a while we put a little gas in the bank managers Caddy" I heard of some mechanics who did similar to garage owners new car. He'd become too high and mighty to get hands greasy. Only sometimes they put a few gallons in, other times took some out. Mileage was all over place. In old days folks would add a gallon or two, jack up rear, run car in reverse, turning odometer back, make victim think he was getting poor milage, run forward great mileage,.

Moving cars was brilliant, maybe if you'd just reversed them, front for rear, in same slot, somebody woulda noticed.

Heard of somebody, famous guy I think, news paper editor, govt. head of dept., back in days when men wore hats. He got new hat of which he was inordinately proud, Staff took up collection, as token of respect had new sweat band with guys name put in hat, "required" removal of size tag. Bought two hats exactly same, only one was smaller, one larger. For several years they swapped them back and forth. Convinced guy he had some strange medical condition, changing head size, due to weather, food he'd eaten, time of day. all sorts of stuff.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:34 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

It was under way when I started there so I don't know how long it went on. It wasn't much gas, the old pumps would hold some gas in the hose and we drained that and got maybe a quart a day. I guess with short trips it made a big difference.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:43 AM  
Austin
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmrjohn View Post
"For a while we put a little gas in the bank managers Caddy" I heard of some mechanics who did similar to garage owners new car. He'd become too high and mighty to get hands greasy. Only sometimes they put a few gallons in, other times took some out. Mileage was all over place. In old days folks would add a gallon or two, jack up rear, run car in reverse, turning odometer back, make victim think he was getting poor milage, run forward great mileage,.

Moving cars was brilliant, maybe if you'd just reversed them, front for rear, in same slot, somebody woulda noticed.

Heard of somebody, famous guy I think, news paper editor, govt. head of dept., back in days when men wore hats. He got new hat of which he was inordinately proud, Staff took up collection, as token of respect had new sweat band with guys name put in hat, "required" removal of size tag. Bought two hats exactly same, only one was smaller, one larger. For several years they swapped them back and forth. Convinced guy he had some strange medical condition, changing head size, due to weather, food he'd eaten, time of day. all sorts of stuff.
That's pretty great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
It was under way when I started there so I don't know how long it went on. It wasn't much gas, the old pumps would hold some gas in the hose and we drained that and got maybe a quart a day. I guess with short trips it made a big difference.
I would think so.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:27 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

The idea with the gas came from a movie in the late fiftys or early sixtys. Father and son messing with the neighbours VW.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:44 AM  
notmrjohn
Obnoxious Knowitalll

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

"the old pumps would hold some gas in the hose"

We used to go around at night draining that for gas. folks had probably been doing that for years and still some stations turned off pumps but didn't lock nozzle. I reckon that actually station wasn't losing much if anything, last person to use the pump paid for those few drops that passed meter and did't make it to car.. My Dad, a notorious tight wad, would raise the hose from pump to car to get those drops. And he would never buy gas right as station opened. Some punk teenager might have drained the hose overnight or, get this, it could have evaporated out. And this was back when a gallon cost a quarter. Any other geezers remember "gas wars?"

And folks used to get a group and pick up VW bugs and put them in all kinds of places. Even carrying them up stairs.

" bird lovers out there. . .? " I guess we should be talking about T-Birds, Falcons, Road Runners, Eagles, and what not.

[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Measure twice, cut once.[/FONT][/CENTER]
[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Look at the nail, not the hammer. Watch the fence, not the blade.[/FONT][/CENTER]
[CENTER][FONT=Comic Sans MS]If you hook your thumb over your belt you won't hit it with the hammer or leave it layin on the saw table.[/FONT][/CENTER]

Quick Reply