DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > General Chit-Chat > Health Care in America

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 09:58 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Health Care in America

This evening, your House of Representatives passed legislation. They call it "comprehensive health care reform", but I've only heard bits and pieces of what's in the new law. What I've heard is that the new law:

1. prevents health insurance companies from denying your claim because you had a "pre-existing medical condition". I think that means that insurance companies will want every new customer to go through a complete physical before being accepted as a client.

2. that children will be covered under their parent's health insurance until they reach the age of 26 if they aren't covered by their own health insurance.

3. that companies can shop for medical insurance for their employees from underwriters anywhere in the US, not just within their own state.

I'm wondering how this law about pre-existing medical conditions applies in a case like lung cancer from exposure to asbestos. If a person goes to their doctor because a persistant cough has now turned into coughing up blood, and that turns out to be lung cancer from exposure to asbestos decades earlier, when does the "pre-existing medical condition" come into existance? When that person was first exposed to asbestos, when he/she was first medically affected by it, or when they were diagnosed with cancer? Lung diseases like Mesothelioma from exposure to asbestos can take decades to develop, and there's no know safe exposure threshold. So, theoretically, at least, a person can inhale asbestos fibers because they were standing downwind of a gravel road and come down with lung cancer 20, 30 or 40 years later.
The concensus of opinion seems to be that we're all individuals and each of us has a different susceptibility to exposure to asbestos. Some of us are more resistant to the stuff than others. So, did the old rules mean that insurance companies could avoid paying on claims simply by saying that the claimant had a pre-existing medical condition in that he/she had been exposed to asbestos 40 years ago, and that their fate had been determined then? In that case, the insurance company could deny any and all claims for asbestos related diseases by claiming the client had a "pre-existing medical condition" for the past 40 years.

Also, they were saying on TV that this new comprehensive health care reform would prevent government money being used to pay for abortions. I know abortion is a sensitive topic because of the religious implications, but I think that in many cases, abortion is the most practical alternative. Simply not providing funding for abortions in cases like that is ignoring the problem exists, and forcing some women to give birth to children they don't want and aren't able to properly care for.

Does anyone know what else is in this new health care reform law? How is it going to affect you guys' daily lives?

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 03-21-2010 at 11:56 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2010, 08:31 AM  
travelover

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here is a summary from CBS news on what is in the bill.

Health Care Reform Bill Summary: A Look At What's in the Bill - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

I'm retired and have a high deductible policy provided to me by my former employer. For me, I see no change. However, if I lost this coverage, it means that I could buy health care even though I have a preexisting condition (like everyone over 50 does). With a serious disease like cancer and no health insurance, I could literally be financially ruined after a lifetime of saving and investing. My wife could be left with almost nothing.

I'm hopeful that future legislation lowers the overall cost of medical attention, which I believe is currently over $7000 per person in the US. That is a tough sell, as that $7000 is currently distributed to stakeholders that will fight to maintain their position at the trough.

Last edited by travelover; 03-22-2010 at 12:45 PM.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:40 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 458 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 144

[QUOTE=Nestor_Kelebay;42630]

The concensus of opinion seems to be

QUOTE]

Nestor, a consensus of opinion is grammatically incorrect. A consensus is a gathering of opinions, thus making this a redundant statement.

...and thats probably all I need to say on this subject.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:15 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I stand corrected.

I shall strive to do better by you in future.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:17 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor_Kelebay View Post
I stand corrected.

I shall strive to do better by you in future.
Thank-you, thank-you very much ( in my very best Elvis voice)

Old 03-22-2010, 03:25 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oldog/Newtrick:

Well, you certainly won't be the only one in America that doesn't like what your government has done. Lots of people don't like the health care reforms for lots of different reasons. Right now your government is just coming off a spending orgy called the "stimulus plan", so now might not be a good time to engange in another spending spree. Also, as with every government social program, it's the haves that end up paying the way for the havenots through their taxes. (Think of it as a "Robin Hood style" of government.) And, I have a fundamental problem with the concept of sharing my nothing with everyone else.

Only time will tell if this was the best thing, or the worst thing, that Barack Obama ever did. All we pawns can do is wait and hope it turns out to be a good thing.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 03-22-2010 at 03:59 PM.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:46 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Hey Nestor, did I ever tell you about the time I saw Elvis at a Burger King?

Old 03-22-2010, 07:13 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog/newtrick View Post
Hey Nestor, did I ever tell you about the time I saw Elvis at a Burger King?

Do you mean, like... he was working there?

Old 03-22-2010, 07:22 PM  
Bud Cline
Tile Contractor

Citizens of this country overwhelmingly disapprove of this health-care reform bill as it is currently written but it appears it is being passed anyway against the wishes of the majority.

So my question is this:
Now that this law has been shoved up my *** by my government contrary to my wishes, will my insurance company be responsible for the medical costs of having it removed?

[SIZE="1"][B][COLOR="Blue"][CENTER]Some days I aspire to becoming a missing person.[/CENTER][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

Old 03-22-2010, 07:24 PM  
Bud Cline
Tile Contractor

Elvis chased me and a friend off his property one time in Memphis.

[SIZE="1"][B][COLOR="Blue"][CENTER]Some days I aspire to becoming a missing person.[/CENTER][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

Quick Reply