DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > General Chit-Chat > Hey Canadian Friends

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2009, 02:12 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 328 Times on 276 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Default Hey Canadian Friends

Well the US Thanksgiving is coming up, just wondering if you have any questions about our customs that you have been dieing to, but afraid, to ask.

Let me start-deep fried turkeys are DELICIOUS.

-yes, collar greens are served on turkey day.

-deer hunting before dinner is a tradition.

-i don't know why inspector wears that funny hat.

-we can't 4-wheel on the moon so we practice the day after
thanksgiving when all the city folk are at the malls.

-did I mention deep fried turkeys are DELICIOUS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2009, 05:21 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Canadians are dying to know:

What are "grits"? You know, when Granny Klampett tells Jethro that they're having roadkill stew and "grits" for supper, what are the "grits"?

If an American doesn't bag a deer before dinner on Thanksgiving, does he just shoot something else instead?

Turkeys and pumpkins both play an important role in traditional American Thanksgiving Day celebrations. There are male and female turkeys. Are there male and female pumpkins? If so, how would they, you know, the pumpkins I mean, do IT?

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 11-19-2009 at 05:56 PM.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:22 AM  
TxBuilder
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Grits are like polenta. I grew up eating them and I love them.
We shoot anything anyways the day is unimportant.
Yes pumpkins have male and female. We are not picky when it comes to this though. They both make excellent pies/ Best friends for life.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:28 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Vegetarian is an old Indian word for "Bad Hunter" if you don't shoot a deer it is not southernly correct to substitute another animal for dinner.

If you have never had GRITS then you don't know what you are missing. Grits also stands for "Girls Raised In The South" ahh... Grits. Gotta love em.

Where else but the good Ole USA, where the symbol for a Holiday is then an eatable item. Pumpkins, Turkeys, Easter Rabbits, Apple Pie. ummmm Apple Pie.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:34 AM  
TxBuilder
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I did not know that.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:17 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, I'm amazed.

Grits is (close enough to be called the same thing) cornmeal. I had grits for supper many times when I was a kid, but it musta been a Ukrainian way of making "grits" cuz my GRANDMOTHER used to make it for me and my two sisters when my mom couldn't be around to make supper. And, my grandmother never spoke or read (or probably even understood) a word of English in her life (short of "yes", "no", "hello" and "goodbye").

My grandmother would make a simple porridge out of cornmeal, and on top of it she would put a big scoop of sour cream, and that would be supper for us kids. Easy, quick and filling. I remember eating that at our old house, but I never knew I was eating "grits" with sour cream.

I always figured "grits" was some kind of green vegetable. That's one of the few things that The Beverly Hillbillies never taught me about life in America.

Getting a full size Thanksgiving Deer into the oven of a standard 30 inch wide range must be a real fight, tho.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 11-20-2009 at 02:35 PM.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:59 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor_Kelebay View Post
Well, I'm amazed.

Getting a full size Thanksgiving Deer into the oven of a standard 30 inch wide range must be a real fight, tho.
It's one of those 'Hear, hold my beer and watch this" moment.

I actually like grits. Great with eggs, served with butter and lots of black pepper. Don't know about the sour cream thing... Grits are much the same as cream of wheat except it's a corn meal product. Dang now I'm getting hungry, guess we'll make a run to the Waffle House tonite

Old 11-20-2009, 03:43 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog/newtrick View Post
It's one of those 'Here, hold my beer and watch this" moments.
I'll bet. I'm wondering if Guiness has a catagory for "biggest deer in a standard size oven" and who the current record holder is. No doubt it would involve a lot of planning, just like those 12 Japanese tourists that fit into a standard Los Angeles phone booth.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:16 AM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Clearly, one thing that all Americans have to be thankful for on Thanksgiving Day is that the Pilgrims didn't adopt the moose as the traditional Thanksgiving Day meal. You guys'd be having moose leftovers till Christmas. Obviously, the Pilgrims were a level headed bunch.

In the US, Thanksgiving is celebrated on the 4th Thursday in November. In Canada, it's the second Monday in October. We just celebrate the previous Sunday cuz that gives the cook time to prepare a big meal and family the time to come from the country or neighboring cities. Do you guys just wait for the following weekend, or do you actually carve the Thanksgiving deer on Thursday? I guess, just like in all things, practical considerations overrule tradition, and Thanksgiving is actually celebrated on the following weekend.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 11-21-2009 at 12:42 PM.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:17 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Nestor, I have sat in a many woods in Ky, Tn, Al, Oh and have not yet seen the first moose. If the moose replaced the turkey as our symbol for thanksgiving day there would be a lot of meals of grits and pour-age with sour cream.

At my house Thanksgiving Day is a 4 day weekend. Starts on wed about 11:00 and gets over about noon on Mon. I usually try to take vacation days this time of year and I for one am thankful that all the kids are back in town to live. My oldest daughter just moved back from NYC with her husband, who I really like a lot. Good to have the family within visiting distance.

No venison for me yet this season. Thats what happens when you hunt for one special animal. We are seeing the rewards of managed hunting the past 8 years, with taking a tract of about 5,550 acres and planting winter food plots and providing safe zones for the animals to seek sanctuary, not overly pressuring the animals and maintaining a healthy herd balance for bucks to does. So if you want to see a redneck stuff a deer into a kitchen range I guess you'll have to wait a little longer. Only Guinness at this house is in a bottle. On the bright side we are taking the corn feed hogs (7) to the processor the 2 ND week of DEC. Right now thet are pushing about 225#. You wouldn't believe the difference between corn feed and grocery store bought pork. It's almost like it's a different animal. The sausage and pork chops are AWESOME!

Last edited by oldognewtrick; 11-21-2009 at 03:19 PM.

Quick Reply