DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > General Chit-Chat > Hey Canadian Friends

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 06:53 PM  
travelover

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor_Kelebay View Post
Yeah, all of us know Travelover is right. This topic belongs in the same bag as handguns, capital punishment and abortion. They're all problems with no good solution.

So, I agree. Why argue about it and get our blood pressure up when it's not going to make any difference anyway. I guess I just don't like to be told by the media that unless I agree with the politically correct version of things, then I'm a racist. I prefer to think of myself as a realist.

Anyhow, point taken, Travelover correct, end discussion, over and out.
I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but in other forums the hard feelings in the political discussions boiled over into the other topics and........well it got ugly. I must say this is a pretty civil bunch here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2009, 07:32 AM  
TxBuilder
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Alls well that ends well.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:03 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 379 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor_Kelebay View Post
Yeah, all of us know Travelover is right. This topic belongs in the same bag as handguns, capital punishment and abortion. They're all problems with no good solution.

So, I agree. Why argue about it and get our blood pressure up when it's not going to make any difference anyway. I guess I just don't like to be told by the media that unless I agree with the politically correct version of things, then I'm a racist. I prefer to think of myself as a realist.

Anyhow, point taken, Travelover correct, end discussion, over and out.
Nestor, I sure hope you don't feel that we are /were arguing about the problems of our society. No malice was intended on my part about your observations of US culture. I really enjoy your prospective and value your comments.

Now on to other topics, how long does the snow cover last in Winnipeg when the white stuff starts falling? Does it come and go or do you have snow cover the entire winter?

Old 12-04-2009, 11:42 AM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog/newtrick View Post
Nestor, I sure hope you don't feel that we are /were arguing about the problems of our society. No malice was intended on my part about your observations of US culture. I really enjoy your prospective and value your comments.

Now on to other topics, how long does the snow cover last in Winnipeg when the white stuff starts falling? Does it come and go or do you have snow cover the entire winter?
Oldog/Newtrick:

Not at all. In fact, what I've found on every DIY Q&A forum I've posted on is that people actually like to hear ideas and theories that challenge conventional thinking. We all get tired of the same old propoganda, and like new ideas and fresh thinking that stimulates our own minds.

Up here, as the cold weather sets in, we will have light snow (typically occuring in late October) that melts when it hits the ground, or that falls at night and melts with the higher day time temperatures. Once it gets cold enough that the snow doesn't melt because day time temperatures are below freezing, then we call that snow "permanent snow". Permanent snow is snow that will remain until spring when all the snow melts.

This year we've been really lucky. We just got our first snow fall a few days ago and much of it has melted. There's still a lot of it around, so it's possible that this year the first snow to fall might also be our first permanent snow.

Also, most people that live in the south think that our roads are covered with snow all winter. That's true of country roads, or the roads in small towns. However, in cities like Winnipeg, it'll only be the back lanes and side streets that'll have hard packed snow on them all winter. The main thoroughfares have enough traffic that the heat from the car exhausts will melt the snow, especially at intersections where the cars stop for red lights. It can be -20 deg. Celsius and the main routes through Winnipeg will be WET or even DRY, depending on how much traffic there is. And, it's all cuz of the RADIANT heat from car exhaust pipes. The radiant heat heats the road, and that's what keeps the moisture on it from freezing.

Also, people often presume that ice has to melt into water before it disappears, and that's not true. It's called "sublimation". After a snow fall, we'll sweep the snow off of our cars just like anyone else, but there will typically be snow (or frozen water of one form or another) still on the car. If you don't clean that snow or ice off, it'll disappear by itself without melting. Even if the daytime highs are below -20 deg. C outside for weeks on end (as it has been many times in my memory) the snow or ice on your car will disappear on it's own. What happens is that the heat inside the car from the car heater will provide energy to the snow on the outside, and the frozen ice will absorb that energy and turn directly into a vapour. So, after a snowfall, everyone's car will have snow on it, but within a week or so afterwards, all the cars will be free of snow, and it's all because of the thermal energy from inside the car causing the ice on the outside to sublimate directly into water vapour.

It's kinda interesting to see stuff like that happening cuz it reminds you that so very much of what happens in the natural world around us is imperceptible, but yet can be very important. For example, before Isaac Newton did his thing, asking why something fell when you dropped it was considered a stupid question. And, that was just because gravity was so much a part of our life experience, that we couldn't concieve of a situation of there NOT being gravity to make things fall. So, there's stuff happening around us all the time that we're completely unaware of, and every time someone discovers one of those things, the rest of the world goes "Ah Hah. Now we know why that happens." and a whole new technology is born. People noticing what a current in a wired did led to the telegraph and the radio and morse code and the electric motor and to your cell phone. That's cuz that current in a wire generated an electomagnetic field that was strong and powerful, but imperceptible to us.

Anyhow, up here, the first snow will fall normally fall in October sometimes, and the permanent snow will typically come in mid-November or so. Spring melt will typically start near the end of March, but we've had some pretty bad blizzards in early April. By May, there won't be much snow left. Typically, about the only ice you'll see in May will be the piles of snow they clear off parking lots cuz they take a long time to melt. The melting is really noticable once the night time temperatures get above zero cuz then the snow is melting 24/7. And, of course, people here are happier and friendlier every spring when you can go outside with just a jacket on. We put up with winter, we don't enjoy it.

I'd like to live where people celebrate and run outside to make snowballs and snowmen when it snows cuz they so seldom see the stuff. Up here, snow, like the geese flying south, is a sure sign of the coming winter.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 12-04-2009 at 07:44 PM.

Quick Reply