DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > General Chit-Chat > Hey Nestor

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 01:19 PM  
TxBuilder
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I saw a story not to long ago that as polar bears are making there way down they are breeding with grizzly bears and making some pretty massive pretty aggressive offspring.

Grizzly

Here's something about it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2010, 11:25 AM  
granite-girl

Wow Nestor -that's very interesting. You're always good for some education during my day.

[URL="http://www.supremesurfacecleaner.com/"]http://www.supremesurfacecleaner.com/[/URL]

[URL="http://bathroom.remodelingindianapolis.com/"]http://bathroom.remodelingindianapolis.com/[/URL]

Old 06-18-2010, 12:10 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

TxBuilder:
Haven't been on lately cuz I've been having computer problems.

That's interesting about the hybrids. I'd really like to see the Polar bears survive somehow. The polar bear has come to represent the Arctic. Whales, seals and rabbits live everywhere. Carribou also live in the north, but they haven't come to represent the Arctic like the polar bear. About the only animal that provides the same mental imagery as the polar bear would be the Husky dogs. But, the Arctic is white. White snow, white iceburgs, white sky. And polar bears have white fur. They are the natural representatives of the Arctic. I'd like them to survive somehow. But, if I had my way, lots of things would be different, not just the plight of the polar bear.

A polar bear playing with a dog.

Granite-girl:
Thanks for taking the time to read my posts.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:59 PM  
TxBuilder
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Sorry you are having issues, if you need a hand or think I might be able to help private message me and I'll see what I can do to help.

I'm with you on the polar bear. I think it would be nice if my grand kids would be able to see them in the wild if they wanted, but that probably won't happen.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:17 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBuilder View Post
Sorry you are having issues, if you need a hand or think I might be able to help private message me and I'll see what I can do to help.
I have two computers connected with a KVM (Keyboard, Video, Mouse switch) so that I can use two computers simultaneously from the same workstation. I use my old eMachines 500 mHz Pentium III for everything internet, and I use an IBM Pentium IV for my business. That way I never get a virus on my business computer, and that's important cuz I don't want to end up losing any business related files.

I have a simple but effective way of fixing any kind of virus, registry problem or anything on my internet computer. I simply format the hard drive and re-load Windows XP and Internet Explorer. There hasn't been a virus or spyware program written yet that can live through a low level format.

Quote:
I'm with you on the polar bear. I think it would be nice if my grand kids would be able to see them in the wild if they wanted, but that probably won't happen.
Well, you have to go pretty far off the well beaten path to see polar bears in the wild, so most people see them in zoos. Still, if they're going to go extinct, I'd rather they survived in zoos than not at all. Who knows, maybe in the future they can be reintroduced into the arctic a hundred years from now when we all have electric cars and global warming reverses.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:25 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 409 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor_Kelebay View Post
Who knows, maybe in the future they can be reintroduced into the arctic a hundred years from now when we all have electric guitars and man made global warming has been proven to be a myth.

There fixed it for ya.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:26 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Olddog/NewTrick:

I dunno, I guess I kinda consider that to be the Ostrich method of dealing with problems. Just stick your head in the sand and the problem goes away. Outta sight, outta mind.

The way I look at it, we have to move to renewable energy at some point anyway, why not do it sooner than later. The worst that can happen is that we're wrong about global warming, (cuz it turns out to be a natural cycle) and so we end up being ahead of the game by a few decades. That's hardly a loss.

The way I see it, conventional oil is going to keep becoming harder to find and more expensive to produce. And you can see for yourself that producing it from offshore drilling rigs isn't an answer. BP just spilled a few million barrels in the Gulf of Mexico, and you can be pretty sure that the people down there are just beginning to see the environmental disaster that's going to unfold over the coming months. Why not drop the whole debate about what's happening and why and start developing green energy now? It really doesn't matter if global warming is real or man made, it doesn't alter the fact that our planet will run out of oil at some point, so why drag our heels about switching over to a sustainable alternative.

Why don't we start seeing if we can produce vegetable oils from algae, and start spending some tax dollars researching ways to make cellulostic ethanol so that all of the biomass that gets plowed under or burned or composted or ground up to make particle board can be used to make ethanol. We still need conventional oil for ships and planes and trains and large trucks that drive across the country... but most of us who live in cities drive less than 20 miles per day, and we could do that with hybrid cars. A hybrid doesn't start to burn gas until the batteries are dead, and that's about 40 miles, which is way more than most of us need to drive in a typical day.

I guess I just don't see the point in debating. Why not start switching to renewable energy sources while we still have oil to fall back on. Why wait until the situation gets progressively more desperate and we HAVE to change. It just seems more sensible to start spending money on research to develop alternative sources for the same TYPES of fuel we're already using, but from carbon-neutral sources, like plants.

(Manitoba's polar bears thank you for buying a hybrid car.)

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 06-18-2010 at 07:30 PM.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:06 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

You are right about how slow we evolve as man.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:15 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think if we had evolved from bees or ants instead of apes, we'd all be working toward goals that are in the best interest of the entire species. We'd collectively develop renewable sources of energy and to find ways to live within our means so that we can preserve this planet and pass it down to our children in the same condition it was when we took over stewardship of it. Bees and ants know how to work together for the common good. This is where we could really benefit from having some bee or ant in our evolutionary ancestry instead of ape.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:48 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

See heres where we disagree, you make the assumption we have evolved. Well I'd like to say that we have nicer caves, better clothes, more creature comforts but progress as a species? Not much. You give us to much credit. Besides what is the biggest problem an ape faces? That dang baboon stealing my stash of bananas? Mrs Ape running off with the lawn boy monkey? Kids flunking out of vine swinging school?

oh, its the extinction thing again.....

Quick Reply