DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > General Chit-Chat > Olympics

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 06:16 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 434 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Default Olympics

Who's been watching? We've been watching and enjoying the hockey and the downhill sports. Good hockey games on Sunday, wish they played with that much heart in the NHL. Amazing how a gold medal is more inspiration than a great big paycheck....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2010, 08:19 AM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, I've been watching here and there.

I can tell you that all of Canada will be watching the hockey finals if Canada has a chance. But, I have reservations about even having hockey as an Olympic sport. The Russians would send their "full time" (note that I didn't use the word "professional") amateur army team to play our amateurs. So, then they changed the rules and our professionals would play their "full time" amateur team. But the way it's set up now is just as lop sided as before. Now our professionals are playing the amateurs from other countries. Imagine the tension in the arena as the Canadian NHL all stars play the amateurs from Portugal and win 493 to 0. It would be hard to watch and more of an embarrasment to us than it would to them... at least they're TRYING.

I think it would be best to either just send TRUE amateurs to play hockey at the Olympics or replace hockey as an Olympic sport with that new freestyle acrobatic ski jumping sport called "face splatz", where you jump high in the air and land on your face.

I remember Olympic games where you'd see three Russian athletes on the podium getting gold, silver and bronze. Course, back then, you'd have to look twice to tell if a female Russian athlete was a man or a woman, and even then you weren't sure. Times change.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:49 PM  
TxBuilder
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

How did Canada do in Hockey Nestor? Did your pro's win? And I'm with you those russians were only technically women.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:05 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Who follows curling? Isn't it just big shuffle board? I guess I don't understand. Somewhere on the globe someone probably does.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:28 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The US beat Canada 5 to 3 in one game so far. The US is undefeated and Canada only has one loss. So, it's possible that Canada may still play the US for the gold, but only if the US loses to someone else.

I'd have mixed feelings about that because it wouldn't be like our amateur athletes proved themselves to be the best in the world. It would only prove that our professionals can beat other countries amateurs. Well, duh! So what if Canada wins gold or the US wins gold... the professionals were competing with amateurs, and that's hardly "sportsman like conduct". I think it's time, now that the Russians semi-professionals are no longer a factor in Olympic hockey, that we revert back to AMATEURS playing AMATEURS in Olympic hockey. That's only fair to all concerned.

Also, sometimes I think the International Olympic Committee has it all backwards. I mean, really to be fair, athletes that are on drugs should get a head start.

Curling is popular in Canada and Scotland. I think some people in the northern US curl. It's extremely popular with both men and women in Canada. Women particularily like curling because it's a sport that doesn't requires strength or agility. It's really a sport of skill, so that they can play on men's teams as well as compete on a level playing field with men's teams.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 02-22-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:43 PM  
funetical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor_Kelebay View Post
The US beat Canada 5 to 3 in one game so far. The US is undefeated and Canada only has one loss. So, it's possible that Canada may still play the US for the gold, but only if the US loses to someone else.

I'd have mixed feelings about that because it wouldn't be like our amateur athletes proved themselves to be the best in the world. It would only prove that our professionals can beat other countries amateurs. Well, duh! So what if Canada wins gold or the US wins gold... the professionals were competing with amateurs, and that's hardly "sportsman like conduct". I think it's time, now that the Russians semi-professionals are no longer a factor in Olympic hockey, that we revert back to AMATEURS playing AMATEURS in Olympic hockey. That's only fair to all concerned.

Also, sometimes I think the International Olympic Committee has it all backwards. I mean, really to be fair, athletes that are on drugs should get a head start.
Depends on the drugs but I'm a fan of having Steroids friendly leagues. I would love to see that. Amazingly large angry as hell super men fighting over... who cares it would be awesome.

Quote:
Curling is popular in Canada and Scotland. I think some people in the northern US curl. It's extremely popular with both men and women in Canada. Women particularily like curling because it's a sport that doesn't requires strength or agility. It's really a sport of skill, so that they can play on men's teams as well as compete on a level playing field with men's teams.
My wife has been watching it and I have to say it look interesting. I think some one in Austin offers a league at an old ice skating rink.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:27 PM  
TxBuilder

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

There should be more coverage of the Olympics. Seems like the winter Olympics gets the short end of the stick.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:36 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBuilder View Post
There should be more coverage of the Olympics. Seems like the winter Olympics gets the short end of the stick.
There isn't as much interest in the winter olympics because all of the sports require a big sheet of ice or a big snow covered mountain, and many countries in the world don't have many of either. I don't know if you could find either south of the equator. Perhaps in Australia. South Africa MIGHT have some skiing, but the mountains there aren't high enough to have any snow, I think. I know there's skiing in New Zealand, tho. Prolly in Argentina and Chile, but I don't think either of those countries are well represented in Vancouver, tho.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:19 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

USA, 2-0 over the Swis and another excellent hockey match-up. US advances to final 4. Maybe another US-Canadien match. Should be interesting. Sure better than the All-Star game.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:41 PM  
TxBuilder

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
There isn't as much interest in the winter olympics because all of the sports require a big sheet of ice or a big snow covered mountain, and many countries in the world don't have many of either. I don't know if you could find either south of the equator. Perhaps in Australia. South Africa MIGHT have some skiing, but the mountains there aren't high enough to have any snow, I think. I know there's skiing in New Zealand, tho. Prolly in Argentina and Chile, but I don't think either of those countries are well represented in Vancouver, tho.
That would explain it but it still leaves me wondering why ping pong is a summer sport? It seems it could be played equally well in the winter to bring more attention to it.

Quick Reply