DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > General Chit-Chat > Olympics

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 01:23 PM  
crackur

Don't cry, oh Canada!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 10:09 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What happened, Crackur?

Did we Canadians lose a hockey game?

(losing builds character, you know. it'll just give us the humility to win humbly next time. we'll be absolutely great, but humble)

Old 02-27-2010, 07:00 AM  
crackur

See the problem is, you all are suppose to win. The problem is, will you. The game I watched last night was too close to be confident like you are.

Builds character? I think not because the female team doesn't have any apparently lol haha

It's sad that Canada, a snow country cannot even keep its snow from melting during the olympics, should have seen that one coming, poor skiers haha

It's been a good olympics, some weird things and weird calls, but you expect that from canadians......I mean they have nothing better to do hehe

I might visit one day, well I heard there's alot of asians in Van so haha

Old 02-28-2010, 11:03 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I didn't like those closing ceremonies. Whomever planned them wasn't thinking.

I fully understand that it was supposed to be poking fun at Canada by showcasing all these mounties running around in red tunics. That part I fully understood to be in jest.

What I didn't understand is how the people organizing those games failed to realize that the vast majority of the athletes there came from other countries and can't understand the language well enough to be in on the joke. What they're seeing is an image of a mountie in front of a log cabin in winter singing "The Maple Leaf Forever". It would be like if I was at the Olympic Games in Holland, and the whole closing ceremony was all about wooden shoes, windmills and tulips. Or at the Olympics in Tokyo, and they start bringing out giant sumo wrestler balloons and then induct everyone into the fraternity of kamikazi pilots. I'd be thinking "Why are you doing this? I just wanna know how I'm supposed to respond to this."

That piece by Katherine O'Hara was a disaster. It was supposed to be funny, but nobody was laughing. I expect most of the athletes couldn't follow her conversation well enough to get the humour, but I think most people just though that kind of humour wasn't entirely appropriate in that situation.

And, what was surprising to me is that apparantly no one realized that when this stuff is broadcast to other countries, then people will be hearing a translator, and the proper meaning can be lost in those translations. Imagine you were watching those ceremonies in South Korea, or Finland, and the translator says "Having a visitor is like eating a fish. You like eating the fish at first, but you know that the fish will eventually go bad and start to smell. Please leave here and don't come back."

Heck, it's hard enough to tell when someone's being serious or joking around on the internet when you can't see their expression when they say something, and you can't hear the tone of voice they say it in. Here, people are listening to it in a foreign language, and are hearing a translator say it without any emotion at all. They're left to make of it what they will, and they can easily get the impression they're being insulted. Why the he11 didn't that cross anyone in Vancouver's mind

It seems to me that whomever organized that closing ceremony should have realized that at an international venue, when most of the athletes and their relatives have a limited knowledge of English, it would have been better to play it safe and give them a show they're not going to be wondering about. It was bizarre enough that some people might have been half expecting the lights to suddenly go out and a strange gas to be pumped into the air in the stadium. Ha Ha. We thought that was funny! Didn't you? (Not a safe way to make a good impression.)

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 02-28-2010 at 11:32 PM.

Quick Reply