DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > General Chit-Chat > Storm shelters

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 01:18 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 844 Times on 754 Posts
Likes Given: 1463

The Gulf must be hot this year so suspect it's going to be a bad year for storms. Code or not, I would be taking steps to protect the people in my house, anything is better than nothing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 03:33 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 459 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I keep forgetting that we have a spot under the front porch that I have stuffed with wheel barrows, an old air compressor, a tube we use to pull behind the boat, one of the big round coolers that you see in a convenience store, a refrigerator cart. Guess I just need to get rid of some junk and make a safe room. All I need is a door.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:52 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

See how easy that way, all we had to do is talk about it. The door has specs. and don't forget the venting.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:21 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Oldog; Hows that door comming? I see more storms and houses lost with people hiding in basements.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:00 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 459 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
Oldog; Hows that door comming? I see more storms and houses lost with people hiding in basements.
Been to busy working on other peoples storm damage lately to even begin to think about purging the stuff I have collected and am resistant to part with.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:54 PM  
mudmixer
Contractor

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 36

neal -

FEMA does not write codes, but the recommendations can be adopted by any authority. The most common use of the suggestions is for safe cells in a basement or a closet/bathroom because of the proximity to the living space.

Apparently, you did not really look at the FEMA Safe Cell suggestions. It has nothing to do with with the minimum standard codes. It is for life safety and is well done according to the increasing number of homes now built with safe cells. It all depends what value you put on a life.

I saw nothing it regarding concrete stairs or that it should be built below ground or under concrete stairs. The well founded details are very basic principals that can be applied to existing structures if the budget is limited. The details are very good and make sense. - For example, they say doors should open inward to allow people to get out because of debris and I have seen very few stairways where you can have room for an inward swing door under them unless you have a death wish. - Just a small detail.

The important thing to consider is that most deaths from tornadoes are from projectiles and that is the reason to limit the construction to concrete or block reinforced at 8" on center or, after 10 year program and testing a wood wall (studs at 12" with 2 layers of 3/4" plywood and steel plate screwed to the studs for the walls and roof (or concrete roof) has finally been accepted. Many deaths come from vertical projectiles as a tornado ebbs, materials are dropped at the terminal velocity that can be as high as 250 mph.

A tornado (up to 275 mph) is much stronger than a hurricane (about less than 120 mph after being on shore). Also, you never have time to run out for plywood for the windows.

Dick

Last edited by mudmixer; 03-18-2012 at 05:52 AM.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:42 AM  
ibdribbles

Being from Florida, it's hard to get to the basement down here. They have conducted tests and improved building codes for NEW HOME for hurricane-proofing homes but the problem exists with retrofitting OLDER HOMES.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:33 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Dick; Thanks for the input and I wasn't triing to pick on Oldog, I was just triing to start a dicussion about these things, as I think somehow some of this stuff may be just as important as what colour carpet or how big crown molding. I get it that new houses have safe rooms and people with money can retro fit an older house. The problem I see is that DIYERS aren't asking what improvements they can make to protect their family.
I think I can recall one posting a sizemic upgrades and none about huricane hangers or strap ties or anything for storm upgrades exept for windows.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:20 AM  
beckya

Default Scary Scary Weather

When all is said and done, Mother Nature is the only one who knows what is likely to happen and no matter the safety features we try to put into place, is she's gonna getcha, hang it up!

Old 04-27-2012, 11:25 AM  
CallMeVilla
Contractor

Liked 390 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Do you see the business opportunity here? A kit for retrofitting that meets specs could be licensed for local production by steel fabricators. (probably too expensive to ship) . . . OR, you could forget the profit motive and just make the design available online for free. What do you think?

Quick Reply