DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > General Chit-Chat > Tenants leave behind so many things

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 02:54 PM  
ownersblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinNik View Post
You're generous to give back all the rental deposit. To me the house should be delivered in habitable shape with the exception of minor cleaning (like dusting trim or small paint touch ups). That means all stuff out! I charge for the removal of left behind items. I don't need the hassle of disposing someone's discards and my incoming tenants deserve a pristine home.

That being said, my own discards and some of the nicer ones I have had left by tenants in the past I've put up on Freecycle.org and just watch it disappear. I've posted stupid stuff that I can't imagine someone wanting to drive to pick up (one odd sized lampshade) to pieces of furniture and kids stuff.

It's great for DIY stuff too. Any left over materials or things I'm replacing go on Freecycle or Craigslist.org. Half a can of paint. One open box of flooring. Stuff I know would just sit in the basement unused. I got rid of a whole picket fence we replaced from our back yard. Even though half was rotting, someone paid us $100 and took all the panels saving us at least that much in hassle and disposal fees.

I found on craigslist trying to give stuff away for free usually leaves you stuck waiting for a bunch of no-shows. Charge anything and they'll be fighting each other for it. Freecyclers seem very concientious about being serious in their inquiry and prompt with pick-ups in my experience.

ErinNik
I could see charging for stuff left behind. Sometimes you can get useful things, but much of the time its just garbage takes up room or costs for removal. It seems like Nester got a good deal with his left behinds though! Putting things on craigslist seems like more trouble than its worth. Donating it is a good thing and if it goes to a dump, get a reicept!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2011, 09:36 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 73 Times on 65 Posts

Ah, yes, the things renters leave behind. Let's see, it's been a few years, but let me try--13 broken windows (kid had a beebee gun), battery acid burns in much of the livingroom carpeting and kitchen flooring, caused when he wheeled his crashed motorcycle through the house "to keep it from getting stolen," smashed door jam and casing (he "lost his key again, and didn't want to bother us"), etc., etc.

So after we replaced the carpeting and flooring, and had the door replaced, we just took it out of his security deposit--except there wasn't a security deposit, because the wife felt sorry for him and was friends with his mother, etc. Oh, and did I mention the last 2 month's rent that he never bothered paying?

Old 07-28-2012, 04:30 PM  
JunkDawgs

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I had a tenant leave behind fleas in one of my rental properties and then tried to get a lawyer involved because I had to take some of his deposit to pay for the service.

[URL="http://www.junkdawgs.com"]Junk Hauling Indianapolis[/URL] [URL="http://www.junkdawgs.com"]Junk Removal Indianapolis[/URL]

Old 07-30-2012, 08:58 AM  
drsmiley

Wow, you are so lucky! I can't be too surprised though. I am one of those people that have left a lot behind when I moved. I was going through a hard time about 3 years ago and decided to move. I left two beds behind meaning everything on it: mattresses and bed frames and comforter. I left a vanity, a maybe an couch. I was ready for a new beginning. Meaning leaving just about everything behind.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:38 AM  
Garenius

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just recently moved out of my old room (I am renting a new house closer to my place of work), and it turns out that there was a huge closet of clothes in the attic I never got around to cleaning.

Too bad none of them fit me!

<a href="http://www.extensionfactory.com.au">Home Extensions || House Extensions Melbourne</a>

Old 01-10-2013, 08:30 AM  
Austin
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 51 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 192

What an awesome thread!

I've only found toys when I've moved into new places. Never anything of value, only kids stuff.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:11 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 748 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 1306

I looked a house a while ago, the people bought a nice house with new hardwood floors and crown molding and new paint inside.
When they went to move in they found no furniture or pictures had been removed for painting and there was no hardwood under where the beds were.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:48 PM  
Austin
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

They just laid the floor around the bed?

That seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:58 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 748 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 1306

The real estate people paid for the new floor, three bedrooms.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:49 AM  
Austin
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

They didn't just fill in the missing spots?

I would have liked to have seen a pic of the missing boards.

Quick Reply