DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > General Chit-Chat > TV shows

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 08:54 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 73 Times on 65 Posts

Default TV shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorD View Post
Never use screws no matter what Mr homes tells you.
Wait just a minute! Are you saying that Mr. Muscle Undershirt has been leading us all astray these past few years? Can't be.

Wonder if he'll ever run out of gippo Canadian contractors' screwups to fix?

(No offense, nealtw--I know you don't fit into that "elite" group)

Last edited by BridgeMan; 02-10-2012 at 12:45 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2012, 05:13 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 102 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgeMan View Post
Wait just a minute! Are you saying that Mr. Muscle Undershirt has been leading us all astray these past few years? Can't be.

Wonder if he'll ever run out of gippo Canadian contractors' screwups to fix?

(No offense, nealtw--I know you don't fit into that "elite" group)
Yeah, that guy, he literaly screws everything back together. And fixes it all in half an hour....

Just My
Made in the

Old 02-10-2012, 09:13 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 732 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1281

Not so fast, not that I want to protect Mike but if he is making a mistake on TV and getting away with it, it says more about inspectors and engineers than about him. As contracters we try to do the best job we can for the customer but we all make mistakes and forget things and that is what inspections are for. Before you pick on Canadian TV to much keep in mind we've all seen those designer driven shows and flip it type shows.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:38 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Default ummm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
Not so fast, not that I want to protect Mike but if he is making a mistake on TV and getting away with it, it says more about inspectors and engineers than about him. As contracters we try to do the best job we can for the customer but we all make mistakes and forget things and that is what inspections are for. Before you pick on Canadian TV to much keep in mind we've all seen those designer driven shows and flip it type shows.
Sorry neal,
We gotta pick on all those shows, even this old house makes many mistakes and does some hack work from time to time. All in half an hour, and finding all the mistakes. Please. A typical home inspection takes 3 hours and we still can't break into walls or anything else he does. Even inspectors and engineers goof up bad, but they don't have a show to be on with the $$ he's making bashing other trades all for tv ratings. Customers are always comparing us to him, and not in a fair light.
So this is my soap box on this post. I'm sure he is a good contractor in real life and makes mistakes like the rest of us, but it is still TV.

Just My
Made in the

Old 02-11-2012, 11:50 AM  
nealtw
Contractor

It would be great if people watched those shows and learned things, most people still hire the hack with best pictures of finished products.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:09 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Default yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
It would be great if people watched those shows and learned things, most people still hire the hack with best pictures of finished products.
Oh no doubt folks learn things, but they need to put it into a realistic light, and they do not do that whatsoever. All about the $$.
Now here at HRT we work for big $$...and all of us have Network products free, and not to mention the notariaty.I hear Ol dog is even gettin a bonus this year.

Just My
Made in the

Old 02-11-2012, 03:10 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

What they don't talk about in these shows is the fact that the first contractor might have wanted to waterproof the foundation or dig up the concrete floor, but the home owner thought it was just a rip-off.
What I don't understand when you look at all these wonderfull websites showing finnished products, nobody brags about the structual work or the plumbing, heating and wiring problems and how they address them.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:20 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 364 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorD View Post
Oh no doubt folks learn things, but they need to put it into a realistic light, and they do not do that whatsoever. All about the $$.
Now here at HRT we work for big $$...and all of us have Network products free, and not to mention the notariaty.I hear Ol dog is even gettin a bonus this year.
Yep, got a big ol' bag of Kibble and Bits

Biggest mistake we always see is a home owner more worried about paying to much and not concerned about choosing the right contractor. It amazes me, every morning I turn on the early news to catch the weather and see all the commercials for roofing contractors. These are the folks you do NOT want to hire. All the good contractors don't have to advertise, they have a good referral business.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:54 PM  
isola96

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

You ever wonder how he knows so much on the show? I think what you aren't seeing on tv there are like 30 contractors maybe 15 engineers to tell him what to say? Lol

Old 02-11-2012, 06:56 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

I don't doubt he knows a lot about what he does and he does bring in experts. The only thing I really don't like is, he keeps the home owner out until it is finnished. That is what the hacks do. I'm not sure I would want a camera crew following me around so everyone could critisize my work.

Quick Reply