DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > General Chit-Chat > Two feet of snow forecast for Washington

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 10:26 AM  
Wuzzat?

Liked 150 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor_Kelebay View Post
If it makes you feel any better, I can try to get you recognized as an "honorary Canadian".
Does skiing one time at Mont. Tremblant count?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2010, 12:02 PM  
TxBuilder
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What's it going to take for me to an "honorary Canadian"? Those pics are great.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:03 PM  
Bud Cline
Tile Contractor

Re: Washington DC area.

Bunch of friggin whiners!!!
I'm sick of hearing about it already.
The national news media didn't say anything when we got buried a few weeks ago. No one knew we were even here. Every road in the county had to be closed, snow drifts 10, and 12, and 15 feet deep. Railroads at a standstill. Snow plows unable to negotiate the roads. Law enforcement office-bound. Emergency equipment crippled. Power lines down, everything coated with ice.

Did you see us complainin"?

Jheeeezh! What a bunch of cry babies.

[SIZE="1"][B][COLOR="Blue"][CENTER]Some days I aspire to becoming a missing person.[/CENTER][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

Old 02-11-2010, 01:21 PM  
TxBuilder

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Nebraska is more ready for it I guess. If we have a flurry and nothing sticks to the ground we shut down. We just can't do anything in it. Our entire state is helpless when there's ice on the ground. School is let out. Public offices are closed. People go home early.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:23 PM  
Wuzzat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Re: Washington DC area.

Bunch of friggin whiners!!!
I'm sick of hearing about it already.
The national news media didn't say anything when we got buried a few weeks ago. No one knew we were even here. Every road in the county had to be closed, snow drifts 10, and 12, and 15 feet deep. Railroads at a standstill. Snow plows unable to negotiate the roads. Law enforcement office-bound. Emergency equipment crippled. Power lines down, everything coated with ice.

Did you see us complainin"?

Jheeeezh! What a bunch of cry babies.
I tried getting down to pavement under my tires with 10 gals. of hot water applied to each. Now the wheels are in the air and the car body is supported by snow.
Now I have to depend on

"The snow layers continue to compress and add weight and pressure to the layers below, which causes continuing relegation, and therefore movement."

with the weight of the car assisting in the melting/relegation.
Maybe I should make a video of this. . .

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 02-11-2010 at 01:29 PM.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:38 PM  
Bud Cline
Tile Contractor

Hey It's a bitch for everybody - no denyin' that. But if you watch the national news broadcasts that's all they can talk about. Must be nothing going on on Capitol Hill either.

The weather guys put on their mittens and go stand on a windy corner and bitch. They show cars in drifts and trucks jack-knifed and tow trucks parked and talk about school closings. Big deal! That's winter folks, live with it. You don't see those people around Denver crying about it.

[SIZE="1"][B][COLOR="Blue"][CENTER]Some days I aspire to becoming a missing person.[/CENTER][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

Old 02-11-2010, 01:44 PM  
TxBuilder

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I don't know I am not in Denver. I am in Texas were we have unusually hot summers every year and at worst we freeze one day. Winter to me is Two weeks after the first. Otherwise it's just less warm than the rest of the year. For being the greatest state ever we sure don't get much in the way of seasons.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:44 PM  
Wuzzat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Hey It's a bitch for everybody - no denyin' that. But if you watch the national news broadcasts that's all they can talk about. Must be nothing going on on Capitol Hill either.

The weather guys put on their mittens and go stand on a windy corner and bitch. They show cars in drifts and trucks jack-knifed and tow trucks parked and talk about school closings. Big deal! That's winter folks, live with it. You don't see those people around Denver crying about it.
The weather guys/girls around here do stupid stuff, and they get very well paid to do it.
If it's not CO poisoning then they have no excuse.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:52 PM  
Bud Cline
Tile Contractor

I spent 13 years in Denton Texas and loved every minute of it. Almost each winter along about the end of January the temperature would drop into the teens for about seven or eight days and there would be one ice storm. Ice would coat the roads as much as - oh hell - all the way up to 1/8" thick and it shut down everything. Eighteen wheelers off the roads in the ditches in mass. Those guys travel all over, I never did understand why they would come to Texas and leave their brains at the state line.

Twelve hours later all was well and by the first week in February we were all getting ready to plant the gardens.

Even the hottest of the hot summers wasn't a big deal. All of my work then was out of doors and we would be sitting on the job waiting for the sun to come up so we could at least work until noon or one o'clock before we went home for the day. There were a few days we had to go home at eleven a.m. and the A/C felt really good.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:34 PM  
Wuzzat?

"With its hot, humid summers and cool winters, the climate of Denton is characterized as humid subtropical. Dry winds reach the area in the summer and can bring temperatures to 100 °F (38 °C), although the average summer temperature is in the mid-90s. The coolest month is January with temperatures dropping down to an average minimum of 32 °F (0 °C).[18] Average snowfall in Denton is similar to the Dallas-Fort Worth average of 2.4 inches (6.1 cm) per year.[19] Denton lies on the bottom end of the Tornado Alley area. Although tornadoes rarely form, tornado watches are issued by the National Weather Service. Flash floods and severe thunderstorms are frequent occurrences during the months of spring.[20]

The city's all-time high temperature is 113 °F (45 °C), recorded in 1954, while the all-time recorded low is −3 °F (−19.4 °C). Denton receives approximately 37.7 inches (96 cm) of rain per year.[18]"

Quick Reply