DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > General Chit-Chat > What is the best way to quit smoking?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 09:27 AM  
SnellExperts

I actually had to do a psychology experiment on with this when I was in college. The thing with quitting cigarettes is the same as losing weight, it has to be a life style change or it won't stick. Do the A-B-C program which is likely to be more effective than anything. Antecedent, Behavior, Consequence is what it stands for. Spend a week getting base line data by just carrying around an index card and writing down how many cigarettes you smoke a day and the A-B-C for each cigarette smoked. The antecedant is basically the preceding behavior, or the "reason" that the target behavior occured. Was it after a meal, driving down the road, saw someone else smoking, just a simple craving, etc etc. The behavior is obviously that you smoked a cigarette. And then record the consequence, how you felt. Did your lungs hurt, if you have kids did they start coughing, did it make you think about quitting even more, etc etc. After about a week you can see which behaviors are more prominent to lead to smoking. Start with the easiest ones first, or the ones that occur less often. Lets say your smoke 3 cigs a day after each meal. Well the meal would be your antecedant, so swap the behavior of smoking out with something like doing the dishes, or going for a walk. Once you get those kicked then move onto the next one. Sorry, I know that was quite a bit but I was trying to be thorough. Good luck with it, I know how tough it can be, but I do know quite a few people that have used this program to quit successfully. You may also want to look into an electronic cigarette for the tough days.

[URL=http://www.snellexperts.com]Mold Inspection[/URL]
[URL=http://www.executiverestoration.com]Mold Inspection Charlotte NC[/URL]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 03:28 PM  
JamesFC

Quite Life JK! Well if you really want to quite smoking then you can , I know its not easier but nothing is impossible! You can do it , yeah ! cheers!

I Love Home Decoration!
[URL="http://www.fyurl.com/rr.php?c=2&site=www.houserepairtalk.com&url=http://www.forumclerks.com/"][/URL]

Old 02-19-2012, 11:22 AM  
Jdmrenovations

One thing you must do is look at your normal routine and identify your "problem" times. I used to drive 2 hrs to and from work every day down in DC, and it didn't take me long to realize that a good chunk of the smoking was done in the truck, sitting in traffic with nothing to do but sip coffee and light up. I saw what was essentially chain smoking, and attacked that first. It gave me a HUGE headstart on the overall habit...I just took fewer with me on the drive, I would put the others in the toolbox. Once I cut that down, the rest was easier.

Trying to quit cold turkey from 2 packs a day...for me at least...would end poorly. You don't really realize how addictive nicotine is until you don't have it in your system.

[URL]http://www.meyerrenovations.com[/URL] Beware of the "do-it-all contractor".

Old 02-20-2012, 10:58 AM  
TxBuilder

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmrenovations View Post
One thing you must do is look at your normal routine and identify your "problem" times. I used to drive 2 hrs to and from work every day down in DC, and it didn't take me long to realize that a good chunk of the smoking was done in the truck, sitting in traffic with nothing to do but sip coffee and light up. I saw what was essentially chain smoking, and attacked that first. It gave me a HUGE headstart on the overall habit...I just took fewer with me on the drive, I would put the others in the toolbox. Once I cut that down, the rest was easier.

Trying to quit cold turkey from 2 packs a day...for me at least...would end poorly. You don't really realize how addictive nicotine is until you don't have it in your system.
That's where I had my issues too.

Getting a new car helped.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:35 PM  
ilikeblue

I smoked for a while when I was a teenager. I wish I never would of started. I eventually quit just my separating myself from the party scene for a while and friends that smoked. You'd be surprised how much of a social thing it can be.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:18 PM  
1jackguy

Its a drug Just say no DRUGS

Old 03-04-2012, 05:44 PM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Maybe my story will help help someone stop. I smoked from 20 to 58. When i quit i was at 3 packs a day. I also worked in dusty crawl spaces with no mask. When i quit i just plain quit with no help. Now i am 65, have copd, and i am going in this Fri to have a biopsy on one lung because they think i have caner. When you are young you think you can do anything and get away with it. Paul

Old 03-04-2012, 06:03 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 277 Times on 232 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Paul, sorry to hear about your medical problems. Prayers for you, your family and the medical staff. Let us know how every thing turns out. You have been a great resource around here and we appreciate your time helping others.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:26 PM  
paul52446m

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog/newtrick View Post
Paul, sorry to hear about your medical problems. Prayers for you, your family and the medical staff. Let us know how every thing turns out. You have been a great resource around here and we appreciate your time helping others.
Thanks for your reply, i will let you know how things come out. Paul

Old 03-04-2012, 07:58 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 82 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Default Yes

Good Luck Paul, Hope everything turns out to be just a test. Thanks for helping others understand the reality life throws at us all.

Just My
Made in the

Quick Reply