DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > General Chit-Chat > What was the most difficult part of remodeling your home?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 01:37 PM  
Gradebeam

Default What was the most difficult part of remodeling your home?

Gradebeam is conducting a survey to find out what the most common problems people encounter during home remodeling are, please answer here. Feel free to share a story or a rant.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012, 08:37 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 837 Times on 748 Posts
Likes Given: 1451

The biggest problem I see is people trying to sneak in a cheap advertizement on a site designed for people to get help with there projects.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:06 PM  
BridgeMan

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts

Or even "their projects."

Staying motivated on any major remodel has always been a challenge for me.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:15 AM  
JunkDawgs

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My biggest gripe after any remodeling project is painting. Is there another alternative to the ScotchGaurd Painter's Tape? I know that veteran painters don't even need it sometimes, but I'm far from seasoned and so I still like to use the tape even though it always bleeds a little! Suggestions?

[URL="http://www.junkdawgs.com"]Junk Hauling Indianapolis[/URL] [URL="http://www.junkdawgs.com"]Junk Removal Indianapolis[/URL]

Old 08-21-2012, 09:39 PM  
dthornton
inspector gadget

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 86

I'm renovating an old house (while living in it). I'm not a professional, so most of this is learn as I go. Three things are really difficult for me: 1) Everything takes much longer than I anticipate. What I think I should be able to get done in a day takes several days. 2) Everything costs a lot more than I thought. 3) Sheet rock ... I have a hard time getting all of the seams smooth and "invisible" like the pros do.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:54 PM  
dthornton
inspector gadget

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 86

JunkDawgs - Frogtape is better. It has a chemical that reacts with latex, eliminating bleedthrough. There are several edging products that can help without taping if you're careful. The edging pad works okay, and there are also edging tools that you hold against the edge while you brush the paint on.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:29 AM  
JunkDawgs

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthornton View Post
JunkDawgs - Frogtape is better. It has a chemical that reacts with latex, eliminating bleedthrough. There are several edging products that can help without taping if you're careful. The edging pad works okay, and there are also edging tools that you hold against the edge while you brush the paint on.
Thanks for the recommendation as that will come in handy since my wife just handed me the next project idea, which of course invovles painting

[URL="http://www.junkdawgs.com"]Junk Hauling Indianapolis[/URL] [URL="http://www.junkdawgs.com"]Junk Removal Indianapolis[/URL]

dthornton Likes This 
Old 09-01-2012, 03:07 AM  
Garenius

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Getting the money needed to remodel it in the first place ahaha

<a href="http://www.extensionfactory.com.au">Home Extensions || House Extensions Melbourne</a>

Old 09-13-2012, 07:51 PM  
thomask

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Getting motivated is half the battle, getting to work the other.

I spoke to a fellow who retired several years ago like me and suggested we get a club together. We would meet once a month at a members house and get their "honey do" list done. We would then go to the next house the next month. Wives would have to agree that their work days would be coming in the months ahead but it will get done for sure. We could pull names out of the hat each month during our guys out lunches, plan the work and supplies and get to it the next week.

This might just motivate us all.

Wife: "You can buy anything you want when you redo this house."

Husband: "Could I get that in writing, dear?"

Old 09-21-2012, 06:27 AM  
davidmeek

One of the things that had me stumped really was the windows. There are just so many to choose from that I had to go through so many models before I finally got the perfect ones.

Quick Reply