DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > General Chit-Chat > What style is your house?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-24-2005, 01:48 PM  
jeremy

Default What style is your house?

I guess I never gave much consideration to how many different style homes there were until my wife and I start shopping for a house. I thought it would be interesting to see what style homes everyone owns.

Ours is a Cape Cod.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2005, 07:55 PM  
designer

I am not sure what you mean by your home being a "cape cod". I should look into what my home is called.

Old 10-03-2005, 03:29 PM  
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by designer
I am not sure what you mean by your home being a "cape cod". I should look into what my home is called.
Ours might be a hienz 57 ?? The original home is 100+ years old and has been added onto 4 times as near as I can tell. All but the shell of some of the outside walls remain of the original, it's a story and a half now.

Old 01-13-2006, 01:45 AM  
TxBuilder
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I believe ours is called a "Craftsman" ..

Old 02-04-2006, 11:12 AM  
dkpbxman

Mine is a one story ranch built on a slab.

Old 02-04-2006, 02:06 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 119 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 258

Default Guess what.

Hey there TX Builder,
You say you may have a craftsman house? Did you know that it may be a Sears catalog home? No kidding, If you live close to a rail line thats the way they where delivered.If you can fing an old cataloge from the 20's or later you might just find your house and see how much it was sold for.

Happy hunting!!
Brian

Old 03-24-2006, 08:35 AM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I had a contract, maybe 12 years ago, to take out a wall, put in a load-bearing beam, build a new staircase and leave the wall open so it could be seen. The staircase looked real nice, my ex-wife has the pictures, I'll never see them again. Anyway, Many of the framing members were marked "Sears and Roebuck and Co." The house was 1 block from the railroad tracks in that tiny community. Since then, I have found 3 more in other areas. They were apparently pretty common.

My little farm house was a square 32x32 box then a previous owner added a little over half again to it on one end making it close to 1600sqft. Then they divided the land and sold the farm off around around it. I bought it 5 years ago, I've outgrown it, of course. We're going to put an upstairs in it within the next year or two. That should add another 700 to 800 sqft for us to outgrow.

Tom in KY, accumulator of junk on top of junk.HA-HA-Ha-ho-hum.

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 03-24-2006, 01:36 PM  
Bridgewater

You know, I saw a Docmentry on the History Channel on there old Catalog's and they had a segment on there about prefab homes. Not as we do today, but all the parts were sent to the job, some assembled and most not.
They were pre cut and ready to put in place, just like you would do a hobby model.

Be safe out there folks.
Bob B.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:09 PM  
PaPaDan

Back in 77 we bought a shotgun house, actually it is the camelback shotgun. Here is the original Craftsman house.

Info For All- [url]http://www.hoistman.com[/url] I had amnesia once -- or twice :confused:

Old 03-26-2006, 01:40 PM  
TxBuilder
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorD
Hey there TX Builder,
You say you may have a craftsman house? Did you know that it may be a Sears catalog home? No kidding, If you live close to a rail line thats the way they where delivered.If you can fing an old cataloge from the 20's or later you might just find your house and see how much it was sold for.

Happy hunting!!
Brian
I live close to like 3 railroads. Night time it's a contest on which train can blow their horn the loudest for the longest!

Quick Reply