DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > General Chit-Chat > What are you watching?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 03:33 PM  
TxBuilder
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellExperts View Post
That's actually a really good point. I have never actually looked deeper into any of the zombie movies for reasoning like that, but I really like your take on it. I have to agree with you about the whole everyone already being zombies as it is. I have often said that a lot of people now days are nothing more than mindless drones going through the motions of a life.
I think we all feel that way sometimes. When you consider the differences are minimal compared to the similarities it really becomes a matter of perception that keeps you from becoming one of the mindless masses.

The difference is in knowing. Those who mindlessly fill the void versus those who pay attention and still fill the void.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2011, 12:15 PM  
SnellExperts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBuilder View Post
I think we all feel that way sometimes. When you consider the differences are minimal compared to the similarities it really becomes a matter of perception that keeps you from becoming one of the mindless masses.

The difference is in knowing. Those who mindlessly fill the void versus those who pay attention and still fill the void.
This kinda goes along the lines of why I'm not a fan of higher education institutes. Instead of teaching people to be innovative and think outside of the box, most colleges ruin that creativity by teaching the students that this is the only right way to do something. A good example is a computer class that I almost failed because I was using short cuts. It was for simple microsoft word and part of the test asked you to copy and paste something so I hit ctrl c and ctrl v. It was marked wrong because they wanted you to do it the "right way" even though both ways were right. By the time you get out 4 years later, you have no clue how to handle something out of the ordinary. They are pretty much teaching people on a mass level to be mindless drones that are not capable of any form of innovation. Its really sad to see all of these great minds going to waste

[URL=http://www.snellexperts.com]Mold Inspection[/URL]
[URL=http://www.executiverestoration.com]Mold Inspection Charlotte NC[/URL]

Old 11-19-2011, 12:56 PM  
mudmixer
Contractor

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I just got bored with the NASCAR qualifying at Homestead and switched to to TCM (Turner Classic Movies) to see the "Inn of the Sixth Happiness" with Ingrid Bergman.

Tomorrow, for NASCAR, I will tune if after most of "tank bumping" is over and watch the last 4 laps that will take 20 minutes or more depending on the White/Green/Checker finish and the commercials that require the "breaks". - You don't see that garbage on a dirt track race.

Dick

Old 11-19-2011, 01:04 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 434 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Is it me or has NASCAR turned into something boring...since Earnhart died? I wasn't a 3 fan, but I've slowly lost interest since then.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:49 PM  
mudmixer
Contractor

Liked 44 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Dale was a great "tank driver" and everyone avoided him. Now, the cars are all generic and built to bump others around as you are forced to do on a small, short track with 43 cars on it. Not like when there was such a thing as "stock car" racing.

It is all dictated or reflected by the NASCAR rules and marketing philosophy. Now, it is like a cross between wrestling and roller derby, but it is my opinion after growing up in the real stock car racing era. - Now I just go to the Thursday, Friday and Saturday night races if I can actually find a real dirt track. - While at a small dirt track race, the weekend of a regional road racing track, Paul Newman was sitting behind me and tapped me on the shoulder and said "I guess you also go to see real racing" (I met him several times at the road track through the years.- He was a real racer and started when others were retiring).

Dick

Old 11-21-2011, 01:28 PM  
TxBuilder

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
This kinda goes along the lines of why I'm not a fan of higher education institutes. Instead of teaching people to be innovative and think outside of the box, most colleges ruin that creativity by teaching the students that this is the only right way to do something. A good example is a computer class that I almost failed because I was using short cuts. It was for simple microsoft word and part of the test asked you to copy and paste something so I hit ctrl c and ctrl v. It was marked wrong because they wanted you to do it the "right way" even though both ways were right. By the time you get out 4 years later, you have no clue how to handle something out of the ordinary. They are pretty much teaching people on a mass level to be mindless drones that are not capable of any form of innovation. Its really sad to see all of these great minds going to waste
I don't disagree. I think that's been the problem with most forms of higher education for some time.

It is despite the norm that progress is made it seems.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:17 AM  
SnellExperts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBuilder View Post
I don't disagree. I think that's been the problem with most forms of higher education for some time.

It is despite the norm that progress is made it seems.
Thinking outside the box and innovative ideas should be encouraged and sadly it seems that its not

As far as Nascar goes, I have never really been a huge fan, but my dad was always into it really hard core. I have noticed that in about the past 3 years he has almost completely stopped watching it and has switched over to drag racing. Now he is huge into that. Says its more exciting and less politics.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:26 AM  
TxBuilder

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Thinking outside the box and innovative ideas should be encouraged and sadly it seems that its not

Carl Sagan taught a class on critical thinking. I wish I could get my hands on some transcripts.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:00 PM  
SnellExperts

Would love to take a class like that, though you don't need a class like that to learn how to think outside of the box if you have a good teacher. I only had like 2 professors who encouraged that kind of thinking, and to say the least, they were my favorite professors by far!

Old 12-05-2011, 04:02 PM  
TxBuilder

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I enjoyed those who weren't limited to curriculum myself.

Quick Reply