DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum

DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Green Energy and Sustenance Living (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f58/)
-   -   On-demand water heaters (http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f58/demand-water-heaters-1307/)

bethany14 09-08-2006 12:20 PM

On-demand water heaters
 
Anyone know about these? A friend of ours put one in the new house he's building. He hasn't moved into it yet, but we expect he will in the next few months. It makes sense to me, to heat water as you need it heated, rather than keep a big tank full and heated all the time.

glennjanie 09-09-2006 10:46 AM

I think they are great! I believe it is the comming traditional water heater. No energy is used unless the water is turned on, no more running out of hot water, shower forever if you want; but it won't cost you anything unless it is in use. They simply hang on the wall in the utility room; leaving that much more space on the floor. Hey, its the best of both worlds!
Glenn

Sven 09-09-2006 10:38 PM

Check out www.Tanklesswaterheaters.com I am looking at the Paloma myself. Why pay to heat a tank of water.

bethany14 09-12-2006 03:55 PM

So, do you go gas or electric? Personally I'm trying to limit the fuels I need, and I'd love to go solar. How about you guys?

glennjanie 09-13-2006 09:44 AM

Hello Bethany:
Solar water heating was patented by a man in the North East. The February day the patent office was to view his invention was overcast and he asked for another day. They said "No, today is your day, it may be a year or more before we can come back". They came in, he started his pump and the water came back 20 degrees warmer than when he sent it out!
The only thing about solar is, you have to get used to wide temperature swings. But, you sure can't beat the energy cost.
Glenn

Boston 09-11-2007 09:32 AM

We had a tankless heater in a former house, and never ran out of hot water. Everything was oil-based in that house, so NOT having to heat a huge tank of water was a nice break on the energy bill.

LoneJeeper 09-21-2007 08:12 AM

What's the break even point, i mean after how long does it pay for itself?

Most of the green (especially solar) solutions I see today have a break even point of over a decade.

Some solutions I have seen need replacement parts every 8 years that break even every 10.

glennjanie 09-21-2007 10:56 AM

Hello LoneJeeper:
Comparing a quality tankless water heater to a quality, efficient, 10 year warranty tank type water heater would give you a little less than 3 years to pay-back.
Glenn

phreaq 09-24-2007 10:44 AM

I am looking to go from an electric water heater to one of these new tankless heaters myself. Our area just got natural gas, but I have read many places that an electric tankless will cost less to purchase and operate than a natural gas tankless, due to the effiecency difference (~80% compared to 98%)

Can anyone else confirm this?

glennjanie 09-24-2007 03:07 PM

Electricity comes to your appliances at 98% but they don't mention the 40% effficient steam turbine that made the electricity. Believe me they charge you for the other 60% they wasted too.
Natural gas is the way to go in your place, although oil heat produces more btu's per dollar than any fuel. You will save a bundle by using the natural gas, tankless heater.
I use a geo-thermal heat pump to heat and cool my house and hot water is a by product, summer or winter; it uses the latent heat from the compressor which runs for heat or cooling.
Glenn


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:21 AM.