DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Green Energy and Sustenance Living > Handle on flue of woodstove is wobbly

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2009, 04:21 PM  
lacnob

Default Handle on flue of woodstove is wobbly

Hello everyone.
I have a used (older) Jotul wood stove, model 602N that I bought used & just had installed in my enclosed back porch a few months ago. It was working fine until a few days ago. No draft, smoke into the room, etc. I'm not sure of the term, but the flue has one of those handles protruding from it & I was told controls the height of the flame. When I turned it, there was a slight crunching sound. I assumed it was rust or creosote. I opened the cookplate, & sure enough, right below the flue was a pile of ash & creosote about 6 inches deep. I'm assuming after I clean that out, it will correct the "no draft" problem. The other issue is that knob on the flue now has a lot of play in it & the plate inside seems loose or wobbly. Obviously I can't see through the flue and I can't seem to find a Jotul flue knob diagram to know if I can easily fix the problem. Why is the knob now loose (it seems to fall down to a weighted side) and how can I fix it?
Chilli in CT

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2009, 06:40 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 122 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 286

Default Hmm

Call a wood stove installer. They will know the issue, and probably sell a replacement part. I know Deans stove and spa is a good one in CT.Good luck

Just My
Made in the

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
creosote, draft, flue, knob, woodstove

Quick Reply