DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Green Energy and Sustenance Living > How many folks use the energy saving bulbs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2007, 01:32 PM  
travelover

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

CFLs -I use them for every indoor application that is not dimmable, except closets. The new ones don't flicker, last a long time and are much cheaper than a few years ago. I'm sold.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2007, 09:30 AM  
Boston

We use LEDs lately for hallways. It should last us almost forever LOL.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:50 AM  
phreaq

I have finally switched over all my lights to CFLs, but I'm not 100% happy with them, as I can't find ones bright enough. My old lights were 300 watt beasts, that were a physically larger bulb and had a different size thread. I bought adapters to convert the thread size down, but it's very difficult to find anything more than a 26w CFL, which is the equiv of about 100 watts incandesant I believe.

of course my hydro bill will be 11.5 times less, but my light is 1/3.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:58 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

I have seen adapters that screw into a standard bulb socket and branch out for two more bulbs but you would still be short 1/3. Perhaps someone will come out with a 3 bulb adapter soon. Check the big box stores.
Glenn

Old 11-22-2007, 09:14 AM  
travelover

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Educator View Post
Has anyone found enery saving light bulbs which can be used on exterior motion sensor lights?

We could not have therefore have to use on our three motion sensor lights (two out the front, one out the back) non-energy saving bulbs.

Thanks plenty.
Unless your motion sensing lights are on quite often, CFLs might not make sense in this application. CFLs take a while to get to full brightness and if only run for a few minutes a night, will not save much electricity.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:37 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 302

Default Solar

There are some solar motion detector lights on the market. I bought mine 3 years ago and it is bright and still works fine. Try to google solar motion lights. Mine is a spotlight which I purchased at Lowes .

Just My
Made in the

Old 11-27-2007, 05:45 AM  
phreaq

I have one of the solar motion lights also..... but I find it doesn't always work. Some nights it turns on, some nights not so much. I checked the LED light, and made sure juice was coming from the battery, but not sure what the issue is.

That aside, they are great!

Old 12-25-2007, 05:03 PM  
Rustedbird

I replaced all my interior lights except four with CFL's. The exceptions are two touch lamps, the oven and the fridge. Electric bill much better now. I even stuck em' in the track lights.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:42 PM  
Kerrylib

I just found Dimmable CFLs at Target. Of course the $12.99 price per bulb is a bit steep, I went ahead and bought one to put into our dining room fixture.

I am happy to report it works well. I figure as the old incandescents burn out, I will replace the other bulbs as well.

The one thing with this bulb is when trying to dim it WAAAAAY down, you get to it's lowest threshold and instead of dimming, it starts to flash like a strobe light. (Could be put to good use sometime like halloween)

For now I give it a thumbs up.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:46 PM  
cheesefood
Ask me bout homebrewtalk.

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to cheesefood

I've been using CFL's for a while now and like 'em. Moved into a new house with those super-inefficient light bars in the bathroom. Wife left it on one day with the door closed. I opened the door and it must have been 10-15 degrees warmer in there from those stupid lights.

Quick Reply