DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Green Energy and Sustenance Living > Solar Panels for Heat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2008, 08:42 AM  
TheFentonGuy
Just Another Guy

Send a message via AIM to TheFentonGuy Send a message via MSN to TheFentonGuy Send a message via Yahoo to TheFentonGuy
Default Solar Panels for Heat?

Does anyone have solar panels on their home that collect heat?

My parents purchased this and added it to our 100+ year old farmhouse where I grew up. They still live there and enjoy 1/4 of their heat from these 8 panels. I think they got these in the early/mid 80's and they use boxed/framed corrugated roofing, painted flat black built behind a shatterproof glass panel. This uses convention with vents at the top and bottom (two vents inside the home. Inside there is union paper that ensures that when the panel convention is not working, that the paper prevents the backwards/reverse/cooling effects. They also use magnetic sheets to go over the vents in the winter. Finally, these panels are in front of windows. They have special shutters inside the home that when closed, keeps the heat out. This is great in the summer and keeps the house nice and cool.

I'll scan a photo, so everyone can see this. I plan on building my own version of this for my external garage here soon with recycled building supplies. I'll get the name of the company when I scan the pic.

Does anyone else out there have something like this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2008, 11:15 AM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

No, but Mother Earth News has included articles on it before and once again this month.
Glenn

Old 01-28-2008, 11:20 AM  
TheFentonGuy
Just Another Guy

Send a message via AIM to TheFentonGuy Send a message via MSN to TheFentonGuy Send a message via Yahoo to TheFentonGuy

I've uploaded a scanned pic of my parents house in my gallery area, so you can see them.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:24 AM  
secure

I have heard of solar collectors for heat, but not to keep a house cool.

I have the materials to build a home-made one myself I have been putting off but want to do. One bedroom is the furthest from the heater, and so the air is minimally warm when it reaches it. Making it always cold in the winter.

I was going to build almost exactly what you were describing, but to collect heat during the day.

Quick Reply